One - Mascara

One – Mascara

I cuddled my coat closer around my thin uniform as I walked back to my apartment. It was autumn and the air was getting colder by the minute. I liked walking back home – mostly because it wasn't that far and I had to save money – but because I liked listening to the sounds of New York. I liked watching people as I passed. Different people lingered the streets. Right from the loners to the drug dealers and smokers. They were all there, but I actually found it fascinating. This people didn't seem like they cared – they seemed to live life anyhow it was thrown at them. It was like they could cope with any situation whatsoever and they'd be perfectly okay with it. And that was what I found fascinating.

It was dangerous, yes. Riley had told me a million and one times but I loved it nonetheless, I just loved observing and watching and noticing everything that happened around me.

I kicked the dirt and debris that lay in front of the building's door before pushing it in. I was greeted by cheery Ben. He was the doorman – or in other words, he was the college drop-out that ended up as a doorman and lived to horribly flirt with me. He was a combo of axe, lame pick-up lines and smiles.

"Miss Adrianna," he tipped his hat as a greeting and walked towards me and took my hand, kissing it lightly. It would have been sweet if it wasn't all saliva and this was Paris and 1994. I mean who kissed hands these days? "Lovely evening isn't it?"

Hm, I see. Going as an English gentleman today huh? Yesterday he was the cocky dude, I suddenly became curious to see his act the next day. "Hey Ben," I rolled my eyes and pulled my hand from his grip. "How's the job?"

"Meh, but I bet it'd be better if I had a fellow las keeping me company..." He winked suggestively.

I decided to play along. "Hm, and who might this las person be?" I leaned against the counter.

His eyes widened – I'd never responded to any of his flirt tactics. "Well, there's this girl, with red hair and the most amazing green eyes... and she stays in apartment 69A, block three."

I rolled my eyes. See? Horrible. He was already referring to me, like I didn't know that, but then he changed the apartment block. I reckon he didn't have any experience whatsoever with girls in high school or any school at all. "Huh. I'll be sure to tell her whenever I go to block three."

I was walking to the elevator when he stopped me. "What now, Ben?"

"Adrianna. Has it ever occurred to you that your accent may be weird? Maybe southern?"

I sighed and waited for the lame pick-up line. "Oh really...? Why is that?"

He shrugged. "Well I keep thinking you're from Tennessee. Because you seem to be the only ten I see." He winked and I couldn't help the laughter that came out of my mouth.

"Leave the girl alone before you scare her off Ben." a deep voice made the both of us turn towards the door.

Trent Harvor walked in looking sexier than ever. Okay I always thought Trent was hot and now was no exception. And just between two of us; Trent may or may be the second reason I chose to move into this apartment.

I quickly yanked my arm out of Ben's grip and tried to subtly arrange my clothes and hair that was in a messy bun.

"Why don't you mind your own business Harvor?" Ben hissed and walked back to the counter. He and Trent never got along—maybe because Trent always made fun of Ben, or the fact that he knows I like Trent... I really didn't get it.