Four - Combats

Four – Combats

Sometimes I think Riley's taking all the money and giving me only ten percent of the cash my mom left us ten years ago. I mean sure I'm only a teenager, twenty thousand dollars every three months—plus me working at the diner should be enough for me... but hey, a girl needed her cash sometime.

Riley had her own house. She didn't need to stay in an apartment or at the college dorms, she had her own two bedroom flat house and her own car—damn I couldn't wait till I turned eighteen. I shuffled my bag-pack and pressed the doorbell, deciding that I was going to spend the night at Riley's. Partly because she had good food and I really wanted to dodge spring cleaning, but also mainly because I didn't want to go home to that Aiden, in case he was waiting to maul me again in my room or something. Pervert.

The door opened and she gave me a smile. "Hey Dee," she walked back into the house, leaving the door open for me.

My sister was twenty-two and she was a sophomore at Renaissance Private College. We looked exactly alike; same green eyes and red hair—you know except for the fact that her red hair was in a curly bob and wasn't as 'frizzed' and poofed up like mine.

"Hey Riley," I walked in and closed the door. "No lectures?" I called out, taking off my sandals.

"Nah, I was feeling kinda sick today so I skipped psychology." She shouted back, plopping on the couch. "Plus, could you get the popcorn while you're coming? I already have it in the microwave."

I grinned and ran into the kitchen. You see Riley's house was very unique—a bit weird if you asked me. If you opened the door, instead of leading you to the living room—like my own apartment was—it had a small narrow hallway that had the kitchen on the right and a small storage room on the left. Hence you could get to pass two rooms before you walked into the living room. I took out the popcorn and poured it in a bowl; sprinkling a little butter and sugar on it before running to the living room.

"You'll never believe what happened to me today." I told my sister as I sat down on the couch beside her.

She nodded and stuffed popcorn into my mouth.

"You know Aiden right? My next door neighbour, that college guy?"

She smiled and nodded. Riley had always liked Aiden for some weird reason. She had always said something about him being: completely cute and utterly adorable. Psh, as if.

"Well, today he trapped us in the elevator—I think it was magic or something because it took us about thirty minutes to get to ground floor –"

"Ooh, did you guys do kinky things?" she nudged me knowingly.

Ew, Aiden would be the last person I would ever want to have anything sexual with. Gross. "Ew no. but anyways he totally practically mauled me and get this—he had the nerve to call me helpless and my hair frizzed!" I ranted out in rage. "I mean you don't think my hair's frizzed and I need a makeover right?"

Riley paused from taking about handful of popcorn and turned to me. She placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Dee, you're my sister and I love you. And as much as I want to be pissed at some guy for trying to 'maul' my sister in the elevator, I can't help but agree with him. Your hair might be a little frizzed?"

My jaw dropped. "Riley!"

She laughed. "I'm sorry honey but it's kinda true. I mean it wouldn't hurt to use makeup and look good once in a while."

"I do use makeup." I stated defensively.

"Yeah, a headband and baby powder's not makeup sweetie."