Eight - Beanies

Eight – Beanies

"You see. Doris, don't hate me, but there's something you need to know about your boyfriend."

Her features seemed to change slightly and she straightened up. "What is it? You're not going to tell me he's been cheating on me with you are you?" she laughed slightly—but I knew she was getting serious; with the way her voice cracked. "'Cause that'd be a little too clichéd now wouldn't it?"

I chuckled. If only she knew. "Nah, it isn't me. But promise you won't hate me."

She shifted slightly and kept silent. "Doris... please. Promise." I stared at her pleadingly.

"Fine, I promise. Spill it,"

"A promise you'll never ever break?" I repeated our long-time friendship chant.

She smiled slightly. "A promise I'll never ever break."

I took a deep breath. "Okay, I know you love Randy and all but here's the thing..."

As I told Doris everything and I mean every single thing that I'd known, heard and saw... I watched her face change from sad to surprise to angry to a mixture of three in one. It was scary—my heart was telling me to stop, to think about my best friend's feelings, but something else that sounded a lot like Aiden's stupid voice was telling me to continue; that it was for the best, that it was better for her to know.

"... so yeah that's what has been happening. I swear I didn't think it was necessary for you to know anymore because you guys broke up, and then what you told me in the library...."

She had an unreadable expression on her face. I couldn't tell if she was angry or mad and whenever Doris was like that, it started to get scary and I really didn't like it. Thanks a lot Aiden. "Doris...? Say something please?" I said almost pleadingly.

She blinked and cleared her throat. "How long have you known this Dee?" her voice was cold but came out a little bit cracked.

"About since sophomore year," I said so softly it was almost a whisper.

Her brown eyes widened. "Sophomore year? Adrianna!"

"I-I didn't want you to... you were so happy Doris, I didn't want to ruin things for you and the guy you really liked. Remember when you used to gush about you and him every day? I didn't want to be that friend."

She scoffed. "That friend?" she started gathering her things. "No Adrianna, a real best friend would have told her best friend. She wouldn't have hid it when she clearly knew the truth. Randy broke up with me a million times just to be with some other bitch –"

"That bitch's my sister," I muttered quietly interrupting her. Doris swore. Doris was pissed.

"– and you knew. You would have been that friend. I would've believed you and I wouldn't have gone back to Randy and I really don't like you right now Dee." She spat before she started walking away.

"But you promised!" I stopped her and raised my head to look at her. "You promised you wouldn't get mad." I could see tears forming in her eyes and my voice cracked. You promised you won't.

She shook her head and blinked back the tears. "I'm not mad. I don't hate you—I could never hate you. I'm just really disappointed with you right now."

As I watched her retreating back, I watched my best friend walk away slowly from me until she faded out of the store. She walked away. Just like my dad. People always leave huh? I let out a humorless laugh at the irony. Great, now I was turning to Peyton Sawyer from One Tree Hill. This was exactly what I was afraid of.