Twenty - Complete Makeup Kit

Twenty – Complete Makeup Kit

After weeks of preparation, Riley's school Equilibrium Ball finally rolled around. After the talk session I'd had with Aiden, we'd ended everything on good terms and I was beyond thankful that I'd talked to him before he'd left. Even though I didn't want it, I'd told him to go to Europe, so long as he wanted it.

And even though it'd hurt like crazy when I'd seen him off at the airport, I realized that sulking wasn't going to change anything. Plus we didn't break up, we were still a couple and since it was Aiden... you'd know that he called and texted like, every two minutes.

On the day of the ball, Doris, even though she wouldn't be coming, had been the loyal best friend she always was had come over in her cheer uniform, doing her best in dressing me all up. And I admired myself in the standing mirror, I realized I looked good. Really good.

She'd put my hair in a neat bun, yet still letting a few tendrils of my red locks falling over my eyes, my makeup had been light, the only thing she let show being the dark lipstick and the highlights of the eye shadow. I think the best thing about it was my dress: a knee length black dress with a high cut neck line and sweet heart shaped cut at the back, showing a bit of my skin and topped off with the cutest stud boots I'd ever gotten. I smiled, realizing how good I felt about myself as I turned and admired myself in the mirror.

If I hadn't said it before, thanks to my annoying yet adorably teacher, I'd learned to love makeup... and maybe it wasn't so bad after-all.

---

The party had gone actually pretty well. Better than the former years considering the fact that Riley, maybe feeling apologetic had hung with me throughout the whole thing, introducing me to everybody she knew – and I had to say, her boyfriend was the hottest thing ever – with his full floppy hair and orgasmic accent. I'd never felt so glad she'd dumped that stupid Randy Turner – ahem, even though he was still my best friend's boyfriend. I'd talked to a lot of people, I don't know, maybe it was because I'd put in a lot of effort into my appearance this year, or because I too had made an effort in interacting, I didn't know, but I'd been more... noticeable that year.

I was getting punch, praying to God that college boys weren't immature as to spike the drink with alcohol, when I felt a presence beside me – looking over to see my sister grinning down at me.

Even though she'd been stressing out about her ball and how she just needed to find the perfect outfit, she'd still come out looking great. Of course, I couldn't have expected more, she was Riley. Her bob, now almost growing out into a longer bob, was flattened and straightened out, framing her face beautifully, her long sparkly blue dress fitting her perfectly as it flowed with grace behind her.

Her green eyes shone with excitement as she stared down at me, "Are you having fun?"

"You know it – which is a shocker considering I'd always thought of your school ball as jank."

She laughed, "Of course you'd be, especially since you looked like that this year. Honestly, if I didn't mention it before Dee, I'm saying you look so amazing now."

I grinned, "Thanks. It's all 'cause of Doris."

She linked her hands through mine as we clanked our glasses playfully. "Well you look beautiful, it's honestly such a shame you're boyfriend's not here today. I'm sure he'd just love to see in this dress just as much as he'd like to see you without it." She said, winking mischievously.

Laughter vibrated through my body.

---

The New Year came with a lot of new things. New session at school; it being my last year (a senior) of high school, new promotions at Deli's – I'd swore to Hans to improve my tardiness, plus I'd gotten him the coolest employee present and he was completely smitten by me, and most importantly, new 2016 resolutions. The first being that I was going to try and support my mum, not cringing whenever she came up on T.V., and maybe just maybe, finally getting the courage to go see her life on Broadway... and in person.