Chapter 8

Pls read chapter 7 before this ☝️

6 years earlier...

"Please, I don't have Euros, would you take dollars instead," I asked the third taxi driver I've seen, he looked at me hesitantly

"All right, but the fee is $80" I looked at him shocked, that is twice the original fee, I wanted to protest but I decided against it and simply nodded

I recited the location to him again just to be sure, "Mi Amore Ristorante"

"I know the place, it's a famous restaurant in Gragnano, Campania" he replied in English with his thick Italian accent very noticeable in each word.

I nodded to him and took my seat on the short gun after placing my luggage in the trunk, I didn't have much luggage with me, just a small suitcase, a duffel bag, and my backpack which was on my lap. I had gotten the name of the restaurant from one of the pictures I saw, my mother and some other people who I suspect are her relatives took a picture in front of the restaurant.

After a 30mins drive, we finally got to the said, I got out my luggage from the trunk before heading into the busy restaurant.

"Hi, excuse me" I hollered to one of the waiters

"Yes what do you need?" he replied as he tried to balance the plates in both hands

"Uhmm...please can I see your manager?"

He looked at me curiously before nodding his head in the direction of a closed door as he replied, "Over there"

"Thank you," I said gratefully to which he simply nodded

I walked over to the door, dragging my luggage along, I knocked softly to which I heard a loud 'come in'. I creaked the door while trying to decide if I should take my luggage in with me, I looked over to the growing crowd in the restaurant and decided to take it along, don't want to be losing stuff so soon.

"Hi, Good day" I greeted as I stepped into the room immediately hit with the pineapple flavor in the air.

Behind the table sat a woman who looked to be in her late sixties, with glasses perched on her nose. Her hair was packed in a bun revealing the shiny earrings that clutched tightly to her ears. The room is an average room, decorated with blue and white patterned wallpapers, a few pictures decorating the bare wall, a chocolate brown wood table sat in the middle with a laptop, a printer and a bunch of papers that were being held by a paperweight, the end of the paper leaves rustling due to ceiling fan that was working in high speed. There were two other chairs in front of the desk and a sofa in a corner.

"Good afternoon dear, how can I help you?" the woman replied causing me to direct my eyes that were staring at a picture back to her

I cleared my throat, "I-"

She interrupted me, "Oh my dear, forgive my manners, please take a seat"

"Ohh" I went over to one of the chairs and sat, as I tried to formulate my next words.

"I'm looking for some people, please do you know anyone in this photo," I said as I reached into my backpack and pulled out the photocopied picture, and handed it to her

She took a look at the picture as many emotions displayed on her aging face.

She chuckled, "I do know them if I am not mistaken, this is I, on the left"

She pointed to a woman standing beside my mother, I took a closer look at it and I was shocked that she was in fact right.

"Wow" I whispered shocked