chapter 10 | alone with you

«She was a street-smart girl but she could not lie they were perfect for each other.»

---

If she died, Cassandra thought, and went to heaven — something she knew was a bit impossible but one could dream — then she was sure it would look like Sebastian's Switzerland. It wasn't just the fact that it was Switzerland, and by default more pleasing than England if she was being honest, everything just felt more at ease for her. Besides, being there with Sebastian of all people was a pleasant plus if she dared to admit it. Cassandra blinked, twice, her glance focusing on him standing in front of her.

He bit his tongue, the tip of it barely visible, and his eyebrows slightly furrowed in concentration. She hadn't been paying enough attention to understand why he was so focused, but he looked cute. Cassandra felt a bit mesmerised. On his own side, Sebastian was too concentrated on the task at hand — which apparently was choosing the perfect cheese board — to even notice the way she stared at him. It was one of those moments, like in the movies, where everything became a blurry background and the only thing worth paying attention to was in front. She sighed.

Her little moment of reverie and his concentration on the cheese boards suddenly got interrupted when two kids, who didn't look older than probably three — it's not like she knew anything about kids, anyway — ran in between them, apparently in the middle of a battle of tag. All giggles and everything. Cassandra looked at the little girl who slipped in the space between Sebastian and her as she tried to avoid the little boy from tagging her. She took a step back, trying to get some distance from the kids until they decided to continue their little game somewhere else far away from them. A few seconds later a couple jogged in front of them trying to catch up with the kids.

Sebastian chuckled, and it was at that moment that Cassandra turned her attention back to him. He wasn't looking at her, he was staring at where the two kids were looking at who she assumed was their mother and father with doe and innocent eyes as if they hadn't been disturbing the entire supermarket mere seconds ago. She pursed her lips at the scene, but Sebastian was smiling.

"That's cute." He mentioned. "You know, I think I would be a good dad." His gaze finally switched to her.

She fiddled with the hem of her shirt. "I bet you would." And she meant it. Despite what people believed of him for his attitude on track, Cassandra could actually see it. "I wouldn't be a good mom, to be honest." The words left her lips without much second thought.

His brows furrowed a little bit again. "Who told you that?"

Her head tilted in confusion. "Huh?" She asked.

Sebastian recovered for a second, his frown easing. "Who told you you wouldn't be a good mom?" He repeated the question, looking at her with full attention.

Cassandra half-shrugged. "No one did. It's just something I think about myself." She could get into detail, the root of it all as people used to call it, but she wouldn't hit the level of low to trauma dump in the middle of a supermarket. She cleared her throat because he kept staring at her. "I just don't see myself in that position. Don't think I'd be prepared."

"That's fair." The corners of his lips curved into a smile. A sweet one. His gaze drifted back to where the couple and the children were, Cassandra tried not to peek as well, fully immersing herself in Sebastian. "I do think you don't give yourself enough credit, you're nicer than you believe. You've shown you care." And then he was back with her. His eyes looked at her like he was convinced she'd saved a bunch of puppies in another life.