chapter 18 | saviour complex

«Stop and wait a sec. Oh, when you look at me like that, my darling, what did you expect? I'd probably still adore you with your hands around my neck. Or I did last time I checked.»

---

Abigail's big green eyes looked at him. The situation was just as weird as he could've imagined, but he never expected to be talking to Cassandra's best friend of all people. It made sense, somehow.

"Cassandra isn't a bad person, Sebastian," Abigail started, her fingers wrapped around the coffee mug. The premise wasn't ideal, but she was there for a reason and a reason only. She was looking at him with seriousness, but her lips were curved into a smile. "Her intentions aren't always ideal, but I don't believe she's out to hurt people. I know her, and she means no harm. She's just very prone to bad decisions."

Sebastian fixed his gaze on her. When Britta had told him that Abigail wanted to talk to him, that she had gotten her email address through Cassandra's mailbox and it was the only way to contact him, he didn't know what he expected. Abigail was Cassandra's friend, best friend as Cassandra had mentioned to him before, so for obvious reasons, she would try to vouch for her. It was just natural and any other friend would do the same.

"No offence, Abigail, but I don't think you're the right person to take the word from. She's your friend." That she could understand. She'd probably be as iffy if she was in the same situation.

The girl nodded in understanding. "I know, really, I do. I'm biased because Cassandra's my best friend, but I like to believe I'm also an honest person, and obviously, you don't know me that much, but I'd appreciate it if you just listened to me. As someone who knows her well enough, at least. We've been friends since our second year of university and I think that gives me enough room to understand Cassandra. Maybe you can see it too."

There was hesitation from his side, and she couldn't blame him. That was a first time for her as well, talking to one of Cassandra's guys on her behalf at least. Her friend didn't know she was there. To be fair Cassandra didn't know anything at the moment, nothing at all. Abigail just prayed that whatever she was doing worked.

Sebastian sighed and gestured with his hands. "Alright, I'll listen to you."

"Thank you," He didn't say anything so she took that as a sign to keep talking. "Honestly, Cass isn't as bad as people make her out to be, or even she herself believes. She's fun and a bit of an arsehole sometimes, yes, but when she cares about you, she really means it." She smiled. "And I believe she does care about you, Sebastian."

"What a way to care then." He sarcastically said and Abigail grimaced.

She was aware of the situation with the article, and the thing about Matteo. It was obviously less than ideal, and as Cassandra's best friend, she could admit her friend had fucked up big time. Abigail was never obliged to hide Cassandra's misgivings, nor was she someone who spoiled her by trying to fix all the mistakes she made, but the situation with Sebastian was different, and even when yes, Cassandra had done her wrongs — the very worst ones — something inside of her believed that things could be solved.

She'd take her side in anything because that was just how things worked. Because she loved her.

"Look, I know me being here isn't a very convincing argument because I'd take her side anytime if necessary, but what I say is true. I've known her for six years, I know how she behaves with people, what she likes and doesn't like, and I can assure you I've never seen her the same way I saw her with you."

"Alright," He tilted his head, and looked at her unimpressed. "If she cares so much about me, why are you here and not her?"

The girl flinched with the question, and Sebastian noticed. Abigail seemed to be debating her answer. As if she had to carefully choose her words to not make it worse for Cassandra. Not that it could be possible to make it worse than it already was, but she knew she was walking on eggshells there. The German looked impatient and expectant, waiting for her to say something. Anything.