god, i hope this year is better than the last

«All's well that ends well to end up with you.»

---

"We write that with an S in England." Cassandra casually said, pointing at the random scribbling on the white paper. There were letters and little drawings everywhere. Different colours and everything.

Bright blue eyes looked back at her, and for a moment she felt stupid. She didn't know if the kid didn't understand her, although Sebastian did say she could understand English — at least —, or if she was offended by the comment. Not that Cassandra thought it was easy to offend a literal child. The kid blinked at her, and Cassandra awkwardly smiled. Her eyes flickered to Cassandra's arm.

"I like." Her little finger pointed at the butterfly tattoo on her arm. Cassandra looked at it and then back at the kid. Her finger was down again, palm flat on the white paper.

"Oh, thank you." Then silence again.

They stared at each other like two strangers, technically they were. Sebastian's daughter couldn't be older than Gareth's, except Gareth's looked just like her dad, like she would burn down her kindergarten if she found it funny. Cassandra loved her, don't misunderstand her, but that little kid was trouble herself. Sebastian's though, she looked like him, with blonde hair and blue eyes, like one of those angels from old Renaissance paintings. Like she wouldn't hurt a fly.

Cassandra sighed. "Do your parents let you eat ice cream?" She blurted out. The kid blinked. "Ice cream?" She tried again with a little smile. Okay, she was less intimidating than probably a few years ago. She was sure of that. The child nodded, blonde curls bouncing a little. "I'm sure we can find some around here. Come."

She pushed her chair and stood up, extending a hand for her to take. His daughter didn't even hesitate to wrap her hand around Cassandra's finger so she realised ice cream was the magic word. They walked over to the fridge in the room, and Cassandra dived into it trying to find some ice cream. Little hands held onto the side of her shirt.

How did she end up there? It was fairly easy, and a very known story, she was in freaking Sweden to see Sebastian because apparently, some things never changed. It had been a friendly suggestion because they were friends now — he was so forgiving, Cassandra thought — and she couldn't, neither did she want, say no. Long story short, she was in Sweden and Sebastian would race there, and his daughter was there, and Cassandra offered herself to watch her whilst he was off to some press stuff or something. He had been surprised that she offered — frankly she had been as well — but after making sure that it really wouldn't be a problem — Cassandra, I can find someone to take care of her, don't worry, he insisted — Sebastian accepted her offer. She had experience with Gareth's daughter, she could do it.

And now she was face-deep into a freezer trying to find ice cream. No one could say she wasn't trying.

"What is happening here?" His sudden voice almost caused her to hit her head somewhere inside the refrigerator.

Cassandra took a step back and came out of the open door before closing it again. Both the little kid and she turned to him. She noticed the little snowflakes on his beanie. He bit the inside of his cheek at the expressions. Like two deers caught in the headlights. His daughter let go of her shirt and skipped over to his side. Cassandra fiddled with her hands. Her nose was freezing cold.

"We were looking for ice cream." She said, clearing her throat.

Sebastian raised an eyebrow and looked down at the child before bending to her level. He said something to her, in German of course, that Cassandra did not understand for obvious reasons. But she did catch the way the kid huffed funnily before leaning in to tell him something in his ear. Cassandra looked away, feeling like the moment perhaps was too personal or they were sharing a secret. Not that she'd understand anyway. Maybe she really should've taken some German in all those years.

He stood again, holding her little hand in his. "Can you give me a moment? I'll be back in a second." She just nodded.

The little kid waved her hand as they walked in front of her, and Cassandra waved back. She was standing alone in the room for a few minutes, looking around. Her moment got interrupted when Sebastian walked back into the room, closing the door behind him. There wasn't any little kid anymore. That meant no ice cream. She was a bit disappointed.

"Mick lets her use his iPad sometimes. It keeps her entertained." He mentioned, walking closer to her.

Her lips curved into a smile. "That's nice." Sebastian nodded. "She's very cute. I think I scared her a little, maybe she didn't understand me."

Sebastian chuckled and shook his head. "She said you look like one of those Disney princesses she watches on TV. Said you are pretty." Cassandra's cheeks turned a bit pink. "She did say you sound a bit funny, but don't worry she used to say the same about everybody on the paddock. It's the accent."

She pursed her lips. "That makes sense." Then she frowned. "Wait, I told her we could get ice cream. She was excited."

He smiled. "We'll get ice cream later if you want to join." He offered and raised his eyebrows. "Or I'll take her for ice cream, and then come back to take you for ice cream as well. You seemed excited too." He folded his arms over his chest.

"Sebastian," She was using the tone. The one he found incredibly amusing. "You're so annoying, honestly." Cassandra huffed and rolled her eyes. Though her lips were forming a betraying smile.

"And yet...someone's here in Sweden." His finger pointed around the room.

Her eyes narrowed, but he wasn't exactly wrong. It was just endearing for her that he was just as smug as he used to be. "I'll give you that." Then she thought. "But you know, I never say no to free lodging."

Sebastian scratched his beard with interest. "Sure it's the free lodging. Aha." He approached her and Cassandra didn't move, still standing in front of the refrigerator. "I never got free lodging in England. What a shame." He joked.

She pointed an accusatory finger at him. "You told me you didn't even like London!"

"Did I say that? Honestly, I can't remember." He feigned innocence.

Cassandra, knowing he was close enough, reached to slap him on the arm, but instead of doing that, she gripped his puffy jacket. They stayed there for a minute or two, her hand grabbing at his jacket and Sebastian looking at her with raised eyebrows. Cassandra blinked and looked at him.

"Ask me on a date first." His tone was teasing.

Her hand slowly freed his jacket and she retracted it to her side. "We're a little too advanced for dates now."

He took a couple of steps away. "Are we really?" They looked at each other, and he was smiling. Cassandra sighed. The good kind of sigh. Sebastian extended his hand for her to take, she looked at it and then back at him. It was very familiar. "Are you coming for ice cream?" He quirked an eyebrow.

She took his hand, and there was ice cream and smiles. It took her a long time to realise, but perhaps that was where she was supposed to be. Perhaps loneliness wasn't the solution for her. She wasn't her parents.

Cassandra knew it now. 

--

a/n: they lived happily ever after, i promise.