chapter 17 | razorblade in the heart

tw: cassandra being cassandra...and a short mention of drugs 

---

«And I keep my side of the street clean, you wouldn't know what I mean.»

---

Cassandra felt her heart in her throat. No, she felt everything in her throat. Her hands were clammy with cold sweat, but she couldn't stop fiddling with them as the elevator kept going up. Everything felt worse than her most terrible hungover, except there wasn't physical pain involved, just the desire to stop time and sink down to the deepest parts of the ocean. That was a proper way to describe it.

Sebastian wasn't answering her texts or the one text she had sent, and it really didn't take a genius to understand that couldn't be seen as a good sign. She'd been prepping for that exact moment the whole week. Abigail mentioned she was acting weird, and so did him. Even Gareth had said something about it but she just dismissed all of them by saying she was tired, and Abigail got a bit of an extra response with some justification about seeing her mother and all of that.

Of course, seeing her mother had ruined probably the rest of the year for her if she kept thinking about it, but Cassandra knew very well that the thing keeping her on edge throughout the entire week was the stupid article and its release. It wasn't that bad, honestly, she kept telling herself during the week. But Hans looked so pleased when he read it that Cassandra was starting to doubt her own judgement of things. Sebastian liked her and he'd just laugh about it. It wasn't that bad.

The elevator door opened, and she blinked, not realising she'd been staring at the shiny doors like a lost soul. Cassandra ducked her head down and stepped out of the elevator at the same time another person stepped in. She kept walking like that until she found Sebastian's door. Her hands were curled into fists by her side. It's fine. She told herself and then proceeded to knock on the door, twice.

Her phone buzzed three seconds later, and she frowned before fishing for it thinking it was a reply from him. It wasn't though, it was Abigail.

Abigail: Cass, are you sure that was approved before release?

Her brows immediately knitted in confusion. When she was about to start typing a response, to tell Abigail that yes, Hans had even looked like the cat that got the cream when he read the final draft, the door in front of her opened. Cassandra looked up and the phone was long forgotten. Just like everything else.

The thing about Sebastian was that his eyes were expressive in every possible way, and when he looked at her, all the other times before, even the day they met at the parking lot, he'd looked contented. That was not the case though. There wasn't even a smile or anything, just a blank stare and she had to swallow hard because Cassandra felt her intestines crossing one another like wires.

He didn't say a word, just turned around to step further into his flat and left the door open for her to follow. Cassandra did, although she wasn't sure if she was still breathing. She found him next to the coffee table, holding a physical copy of what she knew was the magazine because she could see a glimpse of one of the pictures Gareth had taken on the cover the way it was folded in his hand.

"Seba—"

"Let me read my favourite part," He cut her off. Cassandra clenched her jaw. "Despite his innocent looks and charming smile, let's clarify something, Red Bull Racing driver Sebastian Vettel is nowhere near close to getting his wings, as we know from the popular brand. This is because it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that his constant success, hunger for victories, and record-breaking achievements, come along with a side that might not be so pleasant. Sebastian Vettel is selfish, he exudes a superiority complex no one can imagine, and his ego is probably bigger than his team's entire history. But when you're a man and you charm your way into something, you really can get away with whatever you want." He looked at her. "And that's not even the worst. But thank you, it's nice to know that's what you think of me."