Chapter 6

I am lying in bed staring at the large crack running along my ceiling listening to Kyle's deep, rhythmic breathing. The room is hot and muggy. The old apartment I share with Maya doesn't have air conditioning. It's a 1930s art deco with a pink tile bathroom and a working fireplace. But charm does not beget comfort, you know what I mean? It's hot as fuck in this place in the summer. Then add the heat from a very large male body and the tiny room becomes sweltering.

I know what you are thinking: "Kate, how the fuck did this happen?" Honestly, I don't know. It was here when I moved in. Maybe the ceiling crack is from an earthquake? Oh you mean, why am I in bed with Kyle and not my boss? Yeah, good question. And I don't really know what's going on there.

Here, I will tell you what happened tonight and maybe you can help me figure out what the fuck is going on. Remember how he went down on me in the bar's bathroom then it seemed like we were going back to his place to, you know? Nope, never happened. He drove me back to my house, dropped me off at the curb in front of my apartment, then told me to have a good night. He kissed me on my cheek then drove off. I was shocked. Pissed. Livid. And horny as hell. So I called Kyle because your girl needed to get railed at that point. Kyle--bless his sexy, well-toned ass--came through.

But I am really unsure what is going on with my boss. He thinks I'm hot (obviously), knows I think he is hot (obviously), and yet he is not in my bed... (obviously). The car ride with him back to my apartment was silent. He just sat there, with his arm propped up against the car door, rubbing his beard pensively. His eyebrows drawn together and not a sound from his lips. I think he decided not to take me home at the last minute. As if he had an internal struggle then decided that taking me back to his place wasn't the right decision. I know he thinks that being with me is a violation of a power dynamic and unprofessional, but I'm disappointed.

And Kyle is kind of great. He arrived 30 minutes after I called him to come over and he definitely did not leave me wanting...if you know what I mean.

Maybe I should just give up on him? My boss, not Kyle. Kyle is a great lay.

Kyle's light snores cease and I turn my head on the pillow to face him. His bright green eyes are smiling back at me and the sun shining through the window plays off the gray hairs at his temple. I can't help but grin back at him. He's a babe.

"Mornin'," he drawls thickly and drops a heavy, toned arm across my waist and pulls me closer to him. His arm is covered in dark tattoos and I begin to trace the outline of an aged eagle across his bicep.

"Mornin' Tex," I reply with a slow smile. This man is wearing on me.

He grins at me and looks lustfully at my exposed breasts in the morning light. It's so damn hot already at 11am that we are both lying naked without any blankets or a top sheet.

"What do you have goin' on today?" He asks as his eyes continue to take in my body.

"Nothin'," I reply and lean over to kiss him. His hand cups my breast and begins to knead the soft flesh. He pulls me on top of him then says, "good, you're mine today." I grin down at him and ask, "what do you want to do?"

He raises his eyebrows at me then sits up so I am sitting in his lap with my legs wrapped around his waist, he positions himself between my folds and pulls me down on top of him.

He may not be my boss, but this man ain't bad at all.

After our morning romp, Kyle invites me out for "brunch." I fuckin' hate LA and its obsession with eggs for lunch and tiny flutes of orange juice with even smaller amounts of champagne added to it. Like, if I want to get drunk at 12 o'clock on a Saturday, then I want pizza and a cold beer.  I don't want avocado toast with little flowers on it.