Chapter 22

Alice's POV
I wake up too see my mother out stretched beside me. I told her what happened at the hotel...and with Conner. How could I not? After a whole gallon of tears, she stayed to sleep beside me. Holding me tightly and caressing my hair. I've never been more thankful.

Had to practically beg her not to call the police. I really don't want to go through the court and all of that. I never have to see the guy again.

The hardest part of it all...is that Conner left me. He was there... and then he wasn't... Tears prick In my eyes. I can't quite get to them before my mother sees them. "Honey don't cry." my moms sleepy voice says.

"I didn't mean to wake you. I'm sorry." I sniffle.

"Shh shh. Everything will be okay." She pulls me into a hug and holds me tight. "I'm going to go make you breakfast." She starts to climb out the bed. "Oh and, what do you want me to tell Conner if he stops by?" It hurts to hear his name. She stops in the door way, turning to give me eye contact after I don't answer. All I have for her is a sad smile.

"He won't... so you won't have to say anything."

She gives me a nod and leaves. My heart is so heavy, it feels as if I wont ever be able to sit up straight again. However that's not quite how life works. So I'll start with trying to clear my mind. Begrudgingly, I force myself to sit up, a fold my legs, and I begin to meditate.

Feeling a decent amount better, but still icky, my next move is to go drown my sorrows in shower water. Improving my mood yet again, but only slightly. I'm still incredibly sore, but even after that fades away, It's not like I could ever forget. That traumas going to be permanently tattooed on my heart...probably for the rest of my life.

"Alice. Breakfast. " My mom calls warily. I realize that I was just staring absentmindedly at my broken reflection in the mirror. I barely even recognize myself. My eyes are more puffy than they have ever been before. My hair a wet mess stuck to my face. I splash my face at the hand sink, moving it, and getting dressed.

Making my way down the stairs is painful, but I smile despite when I reach the bottom. My gaze meets my moms, she's not holding any plates, and she's giving me a strange look. I immediately know what it is.

She steps aside and there at the breakfasts table, is Conner. He looks very...different. His hair is a mess, and he has bags under his eyes again. I don't even know what to say. Maybe I should have told my mom to not let him in. I definitely should have.

The tears come back again. He just sits there staring at me. It's like we're both shocked to see each other. Why would he be shocked. He's the one who left, said that we couldn't be together anymore, and came to my house.

"Get out." I tell him.

He doesn't move. He opens his mouth like he's going to says something, only to close it again.

"Get out!" I yell this time. The tears fall down my face.

"I think you should leave." My mom says gently.

He stands and walks towards me with outstretched arms.

"Don't you touch me. Get out."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry for..." he stops. "I'm sorry..." He shuffles past me and as he does, I notice the deep purple bruise on the side of his clenched jaw. He walks briskly out the door, closing it behind himself.

My mom hugs me. "I'm sorry honey. I didn't know what to tell him. And he looks such a mess. She steps back and puts her hands on my shoulders. "but you have every right to be mad at him. Boys need to now when girls are mad at them." She kisses my cheek.