Chapter 24

Conner's POV
Marlo bites at my ankles playfully. I would give him the time of day but right now in this moment, there's almost nothing in this world that could sway my attention from this kiss with Alice. She doesn't say she loves me back, but she doesn't have to. As long as I can have her be mine and nobody else's, that's fine.

She breaks the kiss and engulfs me in a hug. "I'm so glad that your okay." She says into my chest. The smell of her hair light and familiar, home.
"Likewise." I plant kisses on her temple, which turns into an accidentally yawn into her ear. Beyond tired and sleepy, feeling aand sleepy. They say rest is a good way to heal, maybe that's why I feel so broken when I'm away from Alice.

"Are you sleepy." She pulls back and looks at my face.

I know that was more of a hypothertical, of I'm sleepy.

She bends to pick up Marlo, flips off the light, and starts up the stairs with my hand in hers.
I'd follow this woman anywhere.

"Let's go to sleep..." she lays Marlo down and shuts  her door. Climbing into the bed ,"Come on" She pats the mattress beside her. The invitation is enough to bring any man to his knees. I feel a sudden urge of overwhelming happiness. So strong, I could cry tears over it. Climbing into the bed and wrapping my arms carefully around her, I can feel sleep on the horizon already.

"Tomorrow, lets do something fun." I tell her. She shifts, but doesn't answer. And before I know it, I start to drift to sleep...

                                         ...

Alice's POV
I wake warm...To warm, with Conner breathing down my back and clutching me like I might abandon ship in the middle of the night.

Lifting his arm gently and sliding from the bed, I can't help but notice that the pain that was an ache is starting to fade. Marlo barks excitedly at the sight of me, It's only then did I realize I didn't give him the attention he needed when I first needed to due to heightened emotions.  Then it hit me. He's got a voice now! He's not afraid to use it either. When I first got him he was to little to bark. Now I'm quickly scooping him in my arms so he doesn't wake Conner and rushing from the room as he attacks my face with much deserved kisses.

Almost certain Marlo is big enough to handle the stairs by himself now...but Id carry him until the day I die if he lived that long. I've missed him, but unfortunately we can't be attached at the hip. Once I reach the bottom stair landing I place him down for him to run around my ankles and to see my mom at the kitchen table reading a book with her reading glasses on.

"Hi honey." She waves. "I see you and Conner made up." Her eyes land on Marlo as we walk further in the room. "Ah!" Her entire face lights up "And you've got Marlooooo." At the sounds of his name in the high pitch baby voice, he runs to circle her ankles, tail wagging wildly.

Truely a joyous moment. I've got the boy back and the dog. The laughter is infectious. I join the two of them in happy reunion. Both of us bending to pet Marlo, her from the chair ,and me crouching in front of them both. We give him the belly rubs he just flipped over and started tail wagging for.

"Were you creeping on us again?" I raise an eye brow up at her. Marlo yelps telling us to show him more attention. "No, he left his shirt on the floor." she says as a matter of fact. She nods in the direction of the balled up grey shirt on the where we were standing yesterday. My face flushes.

I don't recall him even taking it off. But I recall the warmth of his skin as he lay next to me. His chest to my back.

"Didn't even notice." I mumble trying to hide my smile. I don't know what for. A mother knows everything. She simply shrugs and smiles down at me as we both show Marlo love.