- chapter 17 -

On Wednesday I wake up to heavy rain outside.
Grabbing my phone from my bedside table, I'm ready to tell Avery that we are going to take the bus, when a message pops up.

Av🧸 – Be there in 10, get ready.

I furrow my brows, confused about what's going on.
Tipping a quick ok, I get dressed and brush my teeth.

I'm haven't reached the stairs, when the doorbell rings.

Avery is wearing a huge dark green coat with a big hood that hides half of her face.
Tugging it up to see her eyes I give her a half smile.
"Hey Av"
"Hey Caden"
"Wanna tell me why you are here?"
"I thought I would give you a lift" she smiles.

My gaze shifts past her small frame to the black car standing in our driveway.

"You have a car?"
"Yes?"
"Why have we been walking half an hour every day to school then"
"Because it's better for the environment and because it isn't that far?" She gives me a duh look.
"Fair enough"

I climp into the black shiny car and marvel at the clean interior.

"I didn't know you could drive"
"I got my drivers licence as soon as possible but I don't actually enjoy driving that much. It's kinda stressing me out."
"I wouldn't know, I have never driven a car."
"You don't have your licence?"
"Nope"
"Why?"
"Money was tight and I wouldn't be able to afford a car."
"Well if you ever decide to get one, I'm willing to share my car with you" she gives me one of those soft smiles which tucks at my heart. I'm not used to such kindness from others.

"You would?"
"Yeah. I trust you" and there goes my heart.
"I trust you too" I tell her. Surprised that I actually do. Although we haven't known each other for a very long time, she has done nothing but shown me kindness.

Walking side by side into the school, we are met by multiple people staring at us. They aren't even trying to be discreet with their whispering.

I can feel Avery stiffen next to me and then pressing closer into my side.

The sudden protectiveness hits me completely unprepared and I glare at everyone who dares to look at her.

They are quick to look away and I suppress a grin.

Damn cowards.

We enter the classroom and take our seats.

"Are you okay?" I ask.
She looks up.
"Yeah I think. Just don't like the attention"
I nod in understanding.

"I-I actually never liked the attention."
"What do you mean?"

"My parents are very known in their job field and therefore are being invited to a lot of different social events. I was always forced to tack along, even though I didn't like big crowds. Furthermore there was this whole act that everyone would fall into. Fake politeness, dressing up in expensive clothes, trying to be someone that you weren't. And I couldn't stand it."

My brows furrow, while I listen intently to her. It's the first time she has ever spoken more about her family and her life before I met her and I'm not wasting the opportunity to get to know her a little better.

"Why did you parents take you with them if you didn't like those type of events and felt uncomfortable?"

"The most important thing to my parents is their image. Looks and reputation are everything to them. They didn't care about what I was feeling, the most important thing was to uphold their image. So I would dress up, force myself into the role they wanted me to be and pretend to be a perfect daughter. That was all that ever mattered."

"That sounds horrible"

"It wasn't too bad. A lot of people want to be part of those events. I was very privileged"

"Forcing someone into being something they are not and purposely putting them into uncomfortable situations doesn't sound good."

"You are right i guess" she sighs. Looking defeated.

My chest feels tight and I get the sudden urge to make her smile again.

"Hey" I gently nudge her arm. "Wanna go to the movies tonight? There is a new movie I really want to see"

She slowly turns her head to me, soft smile sliding in place of a sad one.

"I would like that, yeah"

"Then that's settled, I will pick you up at 7pm"