7

Iverem strips off her wet clothes with a comical caution. Her muscles protest against each movement, but she perseveres. Thank god for painkillers, she thinks. More importantly, Iverem's glad she doesn't have a concussion.

Now naked, she gasps at the long bruise covering her body's right side; it's ugly and already cresting towards a black hue. Jonah's knock abruptly ends Iverem's marvelling.

"Come in," she says, wrapping a towel around her body. 

Jonah was worried sick when he found her at the clinic, acting like Iverem was practically on her deathbed. God, she isn't some fragile thing. Some of his protective attributes were sweet, but most verged towards just downright sexist. She hates dealing with that kind of unwanted attention from Jonah. Especially now since she still can't look him in the eyes after what happened with Augustine.

"How are you feeling," he says, leaning against the bathroom sink.

"Like shit," she says, laughing.

When Jonah doesn't seem to find her joke amusing, she stops laughing. He reaches for her and presses his lips on her forehead. "I really wanted to see the lake with you," he mumbles into her hair.

Iverem wraps her arms around his neck. Her muscles practically scream at her to stop. She conceals this pain with a strained grin. "There's always tomorrow."

"Tomorrow's Christmas Eve; I don't think we'll have much time alone." Jonah sighs. A million worries are wearing down his beautiful face. "Fuck it. I wanted to do this earlier today, but I can't wait any longer; let's get married."

Iverem can practically feel her face cracking into two, but she seems to be making good at keeping her composure since Jonah hasn't yet noticed how horrified she is by what he's just said.

What the fuck should I say, she thinks. Should I tell him I'm not ready? Oh my god, I'm really not ready for this, and I don't even know if I love him. No, if I tell him I'm not ready for marriage, he'll think I don't love him, and he'll be embarrassed and start thinking this whole relationship is a mistake. Then I really won't be able to look him in the eye, and this entire trip will go to shit.

The slight headache she's been nursing turns into a full migraine. That bright white light Iverem saw when her snowmobile crashed starts spotting her vision again.

Her legs buckle. 

"Woah, are you ok?" Jonah says, holding her steady.

Iverem nods, and this sends a pulsing pain throughout her head. Fuck, maybe I do have a concussion. "I'm good. I'm just surprised, that's all."

"So what do you think?" Jonah gives her one of his rare smiles that can win over almost anyone.

"Sure, let's get married."