20

August stayed parked in the back of Iverem's apartment long after she went inside – longer than he expected to stay. Nothing felt real to him at this moment. Not the drive to Iverem's apartment or even his grip on the steering wheel. August knew he should've rejected Iverem's advances, yet that selfish part of him won again. Lately, that ugly part of him seemed to rule him much more than his sensible side. But then again, maybe he's never been a good person and just pretended to be one all his life. Perhaps he's just like Jonah and his father, maybe even worse than Edgar.

Thankfully, a phone call brings him out of his self-loathing mental diatribe. "Hello?" he says.

"Hello, Augustine?" says the man on the other end.

"Yes."

"It's Sam. We were in contact a month ago about an automated clearing house transfer account."

Sam is a private investigator August hired some weeks ago to investigate the account siphoning money from his father's advertising company. Sam is an expert in his field, and August had funds to spare on this current assignment, so he decided to outsource some of the work. Plus, banking information about the account's owner was private, information Augustine couldn't legally access. It would've taken him months to figure out a name.

"It took some time and a lot of elbow-rubbing, but I found a name linked to the account," Sam says. "The account is under a name called Omar Velasco. Do you know anyone who goes by this name?

"Yeah," he says, running his hands through his hair. "I do."

"I also managed to get the account address from my source."

August turns on his car. "That'd be helpful. I'll reach out if I need anything else."

After he ends the call, he starts heading to the location.

Of course, shithead Omar is stealing money from the company. August wonders who else Omar might be working with; could it be his brother? No, Jonah is a pretentious unabashed social climber, but he isn't a thief. He can't be, he resolves.

He's no better, though. What happened this afternoon between him and Iverem is a testament of his integrity, which August now realizes he has none. It's getting hard for him to compartmentalize his moments with Devon, Iverem and even Jonah. He's lying to everyone, and somehow, the lies keep adding up. Even secrets compounded interest after a while. August can't help but already feel forgiving towards Omar's actions. Knowing he's just as guilty for committing heinous acts makes the effort of forgiveness relatively easy– can't throw stones from a glass house kind of thing going on here.  

The address Sam gave to him led August to a gated community. A guard speaks to him through the intercom when he reaches the compound's entrance.

"Guest?" the woman says in a monotone voice, lacking a southern accent.

"Yes."

"Who?"

"Omar Velasco."

"Family or friend?"

August rolls his eyes. God, is this a fucking interrogation? Next, she's going to be asking for my blood type. "Friend," he says.

The woman behind the intercom doesn't say anything else. The Victorian design-inspired gate swings open, and August continues into the estate. He passes by rows of clone beige and brown modern houses until he reaches the one that belongs to Omar.

August knocks on the door, and when Omar opens it, he's shocked to see him on the other side. "Surprise, surprise," he says.

"What are you doing here?" Omar says, paling a little.