Chapter 16

Gabi kept her word, cherishing the unforgettable weekend she'd lived through with the country singer. Even as she developed a relationship with a boy she met at work, she never forgot the curly-haired blonde who stole her heart in a weekend.

Meanwhile, Taylor was whisked away into a world of stardom, and her memory of the brunette faded until it was barely a wisp of an event in the hectic story of her life. With the fading of her memory of the girl also went her unacted upon feelings for the writer. After a few months of being hung up on the girl she'd likely never see again, Taylor began to date different people who were celebrities like herself.

In the lavender haze that was her life also came the dark fog of realizing time and time again that any love she found was always temporary, both romantic and platonic. After all, she'd been turned on by what felt like the entire world, become a national lightning rod for slut shaming, and still felt this empty hole inside her, desperate to be filled by a love for someone.

And before she knew it, almost fifteen years passed by. She was thirty-three, had released ten original albums, re-recorded two of her previous albums, overcome a pandemic, gotten three cats whom she adored, and was in the process of getting ready for her next world tour and first tour post-pandemic: The Eras Tour. Yet she still wasn't happy. Sure she felt light-hearted every now and then, but she still hadn't found anyone who made her truly happy.

Her previous boyfriend of six years, Joe Alwyn, had been a close almost, and yet he still wasn't quite the one. She'd learned that when they broke up after fighting over her new tour. He'd become slightly... unsupportive of her career after the pandemic, wanting to "keep her for himself," arguing that it "wasn't necessary" for her to go on tour to perform for her fans. She realized that if he wasn't going to allow her to pursue her dreams and actively try to hold her back, they clearly weren't compatible. The whole debacle ended in an explosive fight resulting in him storming out of her London home and her on the floor in tears. He'd come back the next day, apologizing, but Taylor wouldn't hear it, saying she'd forgive him but wouldn't forget. They couldn't get back together. So it was the start of 2023, and Taylor was officially single, deciding to take some time to focus on herself and swore off dating for at least a few months. By that point, she was beginning to give up hope that she'd ever find the perfect person for her.

As for Gabi, she had also just left a relationship, finally realizing her now ex-boyfriend wasn't the right person for her. She tried her hardest to forget about Taylor, although she still went to all of the singer's concerts, sitting in the very back of the theaters or stadiums to avoid the blonde possibly spotting her. She would indulge herself just for a night every few years and allow herself to feel the butterflies she always got when she saw Taylor. She was couldn't stop jealousy in the pit of her stomach as she saw headlines about Taylor dating different people but still stood by the singer, defending her relentlessly to any friends or family who would criticize Taylor or try to be demeaning about the blonde's success. After all, Gabi knew she would probably never see Taylor in person again, and she'd given up on her childish fantasy quite a while ago, or at least, that's what she tried to tell herself.