➾ one

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

🌱

alea let out a long, exasperated breath as she step foot out of the safety of her tree hut to find food.

hunting was tricky these days from the migration of the animals. the only good thing was she didn't have to catch much, just enough to feed a party of one.

one might think the life of isolation would be lonely. however it's only partially true. at least if you don't have much to compare anything to.

anyway, alea was used to her new normal. ever since her grandma passed a few years ago, she'd hardly had contact with anyone. a few passerby's, but nothing longterm.

and she doesn't remember much of her family. her mother was a bead maker. her father, a warrior who fought alongside toruk makto. he died the same day.

her twin brother, an infant dying the moment he took his first breath. taking their mother with him.

being the tough girl she is, alea just can't bring herself to the tree of souls. unwilling and unable to let the pain resurface.

and her grandmother was also a tough woman, teaching her to be brave through times of sorrow. if it hadn't been for her, alea wouldn't know anything she does now.

as they lived through the years just the two of them, alea grew into a blossoming young woman. never going through the rite of passage with her peers, she wasn't considered a warrior. but she was in her grandmothers eyes.

alea was handy with any weapon you could give her. being alone in the forest gave her all the time in the world to practice. so that's what she did.

she was sharp, training herself to listen for even the smallest noises. track even the tiniest trails. walk even lighter than a feather.

it was all survival. a necessity. if she couldn't do any of these without precision, she might as well be dead.

however, if you took away the training and look closely, you will notice something. it's so minuscule that perhaps you wouldn't see it on the first try, but trust that it's there.

alea was lonely.

her heart ached for companionship. someone to talk to, a shoulder to lean on. someone to call a friend. but with the guards she put up to protect herself, she deemed the idea impossible.

who would want to get to know a girl like her? a loner. an outcast.

little does she know, that someone is out there. thinking the same thing about themselves. wondering who would give them the time of day.