➾ two

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

🌱

"that's a pretty name." the boy, lo'ak muttered. he quickly shook his head, pretending he didn't just say that to the girl he just met.

"let me fix my ankle so i can leave." she made a pained face as she tried to get comfortable again.

his brows shot up. "right! yeah, yeah. your ankle." he seemed to like staring at the girl, which confused her. alea hasn't been around anyone growing up, let alone boys.

lo'ak reached out to begin tending to her ankle, which she swatted him away. a few minutes went by where her defense mechanism wouldn't allow him to help, but after she eventually gave in and let him properly bandage her wound.

but then he began to try and clean other scratches and cuts, making alea jump back from him once again.

"what are you doing?" she asked puzzled and slightly annoyed, not wanting to stretch this encounter out longer than it had to be. so what if she had some scratches?

he made a pointed look, as if it was the most obvious thing. "i'm helping you." he reached out again, this time successfully. alea pressed her lips together, wishing she was back in her tree hut.

"how did this happen anyway?" lo'ak spoke up again, ignoring the signs that alea wanted silence.

"a palulukan chased me off the cliff back there." she motioned behind them.

lo'ak's eyes widened. "a palulukan?" she nodded, taking pride in his reaction.

"why are you out here alone?"

a beat of silence goes by, "i live here in the forest." alea shrugged.

lo'ak had never heard of someone living by themselves out here, everyone lives in the village. "how long have you been alone?"

alea tried to think of how many years had it been, "it's been awhile."

now the boy was really shocked, but mostly empathetic. his movements of applying ointments stopped as she tried to get a read on the girl.

"i'm good now." alea brought lo'ak's attention back to her. they looked at her cuts, which would heal fine. and her ankle, swollen but taken care of. all thanks to the boy.

"i guess i'll go.." he stood, still not wanting to leave the girl but now he had no reason to stay. unless he came back tomorrow. "but i can come back tomorrow with more food and water? you won't be able to move for a few days. maybe even a week."