𝟏| 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭

CHAPTER ONE:

SOMEONE DIFFERENT

WESTCHESTER, NEW YORK, 1944

THE NIGHTTIME SKY was up and out in Westchester, New York as the many civilians were sleeping soundly in their beds. Some lights could be seen within their windows, showing that some citizens in the country were awake, most likely being the adults as they tried to get some work done before they'd join their families to bed.

The chirps of crickets could be heard all around a certain large home as the insects hid within the forests all around and the tall grass. The wind occasionally blew by, causing the leaves on the trees and the grass to move in the direction it was currently blowing into.

The Xavier residence stood tall and proud like it had been for many years ever since it was built, the tall trees that created the forests all around being seen. Some lights outside were on in the middle of the night as one rather old vehicle could be seen parked out front, showing that someone was in fact home.

Meanwhile, inside of the large mansion, a little girl could be seen sleeping soundly in her bed until her eyes suddenly opened. Ten year old Y/n Xavier slowly sat up in her comfy and big bed as she looked around her dark room, gulping after hearing the sound that came within her house that had woken her up.

Deciding she'd see if it was her brother, the girl slowly pushes the covers off of her body, revealing her pajamas before she places her bare feet on the stone cold floor of her home as she ventures towards her door, little hand turning the doorknob as she peaks outside the long hallway, seeing no one but darkness.

As quick and quietly as she could, Y/n found herself moving in the direction of her brother's bedroom that wasn't far from hers and when she opens the door, she caught sight of the boy sleeping soundly in his bed, having no idea that he would be woken up in seconds.

"Charles!" Y/n whispers as she moves to shake him. "Charles, wake up!"

A sleepy groan escapes twelve year old Charles Xavier as he shifts in his laying spot in his comfy bed before slowly opening his eyes, seeing his little sister's face currently staring down at him with a frown. Thinking she had a nightmare, he shifts over and pushes his sheets to let her come in, something they had always done whenever she had a nightmare. However, when he noticed she wasn't laying down, he sat up with a frown of concern.

"What's wrong, Y/n?" Charles asks.

Y/n gulps, glancing towards his door. "I heard something."

This had him furrowing his brows before shoving the covers off of him and rising up to his feet, feeling his little sister grip his hand tightly. As they moved towards his door, he quickly grabs his baseball bat laying beside it before they were moving down the hallway.

From upstairs, all they could hear was the sound of the grandfather clock ticking as they were soon quietly stepping down the stairs. When they got closer to the kitchen, they could hear plates rattling, making them tense. When they stepped in, however, they felt their shoulders drop in relief at the sight of their mother.

"Mother, what are you..." Charles begins, stopping himself with a sigh. "We thought you were a burglar."

Sharon Xavier looks up at the sound of her son's voice, seeing her two children making their way over to her as Charles drops his arm that held the bat. The woman stands up from her slight bent position, closing the fridge as she gives them a sweet smile. Y/n felt her eyes squint on the woman, tilting her head when she noticed the smile seemed forced.

Sharon chuckles. "I didn't mean to scare you, darlings, I was just getting a snack. Go back to bed." The two only stare at her. "What's the matter? Go on, back to bed. I'll make you both hot chocolate."

"Who are you?" Charles questions.

Y/n takes a glance at the picture of them and their mother on the wall before looking back at her. "And what have you done with our mother?"

The Xavier siblings watch as the stranger's face drops while she stands up from where she had bent down and placed her hands on her knees to give them a sweet smile. Y/n felt her brother's hand leave hers as he had begun to step towards the person, who started stepping back when he got closer. Y/n could only assume he was speaking to her the other way.

"Our mother has never set foot in this kitchen in her life. And she certainly never made us hot chocolate. Unless you count ordering the maid to do it." Charles tells her mentally.

The stranger had been placing her hands on her head before she slowly dropped them and the Xavier siblings watched as their eyes turned yellow before their face and body completely changed. The person who had been acting as their mother was actually a little girl close to their age with blue skin, yellow eyes and red-like hair. She was like them. She was different. Raven Darkholme tilts her head when she didn't see any fear, watching as Charles smiled while Y/n's eyes widened in fascination.

"You're not scared of me?" Raven asks.

"I always believed we couldn't be the only ones in the world. The only people who are... different. And here you are." Charles point out as he holds out his hand, to which she slowly shakes it. "Charles Xavier."

Y/n holds her hand out towards the girl. "Y/n Xavier."

Raven places her hand in hers. "Raven."

"You're hungry and alone." Y/n observes, receiving an eager nod. "Take whatever you want. We've got lots of food. You don't have to steal."

"In fact, you never have to steal again." Charles adds.

His words had Raven smiling, revealing her white teeth as she looks between the Xavier siblings in appreciation. She never thought she'd ever meet people who were different like her, but here she was, having tried stealing food from them in hopes of not getting caught, but when she was, she was welcomed instead of being screamed at from the way she looked.