45 | bertie bott's deja vu

       The early morning sun shone through the drawn curtains of Tom's bedroom. Seren had tucked herself into the side of the bed closest to the wall and the draped canopy around her was comforting. She's not sure what she had expected or intended when she rolled closer to the middle of the small bed but it definitely wasn't to hit an empty mattress. It took her a moment to fully wake up but as her eyes opened she could see Tom wasn't there next to her.

She stretched her limbs out on the bed trying to get herself motivated to get out and once she was up she looked around more confused than ever. On his desk was a small piece of parchment with her name on it and she picked it up to read.

'I left early this morning for an appointment, I won't be at breakfast either — Tom.'

With furrowed brows in confusion she read it twice. What sort of appointment did he have and where did the journal he was writing in last night go?

Tom was becoming distant again and it wasn't going unnoticed by Seren at all. She could tell right away that he was keeping something from her and that worried her. It's too early to say if she fully trusted him yet. Of course he's changed but things don't just happen all at once. He could regress and she doesn't want him to. When she woke up next to him this morning he seemed distant. He held onto her tightly but she could tell that his mind was elsewhere, somewhere far where she can't reach him at all.

Seren tried not to let her mind race in a negative direction. She should put faith in Tom, a lot has happened and she cannot picture him going back to how he was before the incident at Hogwarts. He wouldn't have done the things he did the other night if he was still going to keep with the same plan. Maybe he'll talk to her about it.

She headed down to the Great Hall on her own, still a little tired but awake enough to eat. Lucas looked over at her with furrowed brows, "Where's Tom?"

"I don't know," Seren said as she took a seat between him and Stella. Winona leaned forward against the table to see Seren better, "We thought he would be with you."

"I'm hungry," Seren grumbled as she chose to change the subject instead. What would she even say? He was with her all night and by morning he was gone with absolutely no way of telling where he went. She would probably see him in class and she's worried to question him too much.

She trusts him.

"We have the break coming up for spring," Benjamin pointed out toward the end of breakfast, "What are we doing?"

"I want to see the ocean," Elijah said as he looked at everyone to see if it was something they would be interested in.

"I'll have to visit home for a while but I think I'll be able to go," Seren said trying to distract herself from thinking about Tom.

The talk of spring break continued on until the first period of the day and Seren was surprised to see Tom already in there with all of his things set out in front of him. To his right, standing was Lennon. Seren had never felt any sort of ill intent on any girl before but right now the Hufflepuff was bothering her. She knows there's nothing official between her and Tom but it was so obvious.