14| the boy who was a secret

    She was dismissed the first few days once classes started. Dumbledore wrote a personal note excusing her from class. She didn't have the faintest of idea what do anymore. She couldn't even bring herself to sleep yet staying awake scared her too. She avoided sleep in the beginning, too scared of dreaming, but she could have them while awake, and that scared her even more. Dragging herself out of bed Wednesday was much easier than had expected. With a promise of distracting her mind she had for once enjoyed the thought of going to class early morning.

Tom hadn't spoken to her in the days she was locked in her room. It wasn't that he didn't want to, he just wouldn't allow himself to panic of Seren's understanding of things now. If anything, it lifted a weight off his shoulder. He was going to wait to tell her till she was ready. Till she had grown tired of the filthy mudblood she's had set interest on for the past weeks. Though, he didn't mind her knowing it now. Of course he'd have to find out how, but he wouldn't press too strongly just yet. He stood outside her room waiting for her to step out in uniform.

"Unfortunately Lestrange you've seen better days," his tone was light pressing her to respond. With a simple roll of her eyes, she walked ahead of him trying to create space. She felt as if she were on a see-saw between the want to stay as far of him as possible, and the need to remain close and need to be closer.  It took Dumbledore much time and talk persuading Seren. He understood why the girl feared her own mind so much. He has seen it come for her. Yet he couldn't let her try and stop it. He couldn't let her distance herself from Tom. If only he could finally find out what was going on in the boy's head.

"I'm sorry," she stopped in her tracks, he stood behind her waiting, "You were trying to help me and I pushed you away."

"Well yes, it did seem noticeable how much you preferred Fletcher over me. So perhaps I shouldn't have interfered," he guided her to walk as he placed the statement in front of her. He wasn't gullible, Seren did it was full intention that night.

"Why would I ever prefer him over you?" She looked up to him, eyes falling on each other, "I was angry with you... I heard some things but I understand now, and I do not care."

"Explain to me then," he quirked a brow at her, "Help me understand your cruelty to me lately."

"It's just..." her mind race with lie after lie, anything he could possibly fall for to not question her, "The other night, in the hall, I saw you all come out of a room of requirement and I always see you all together... and I overheard one of them call you by Lord one morning and I was just hurt. I'm supposed to be your best friend yet you are keeping so many secrets from me?"

He sighed in relief, "I wasn't keeping anything from you. I had a plan on telling you but you've been so distracted by that boy and I was worried it'd scare you."

"Please no more secrets between us?" It was a stretch. That would never be possible between the two, not anymore. Not after she has to hide what she's seen of him. Not after he turns into this monster. He nodded his head, lacing his arm with hers, "Let's head to class."

It took everything inside her to not let eyes wander to William. He was looking to her, eyes hopeful every time he glanced over. She wanted to speak to him, apologize for Tom's rudeness and her abrupt problem. As bad as it sounded, she was falling for William. He was kind to her, to others, and was the complete opposite of Tom. She couldn't trust Tom anymore and now she's more certain of it than ever before.

It was hard not to turn to William during class. She could feel his eyes on her from wherever he sat, and she so badly wanted to smile at him. As much as she wanted to, she held back, especially in front of Tom. The way he spoke to muggle-borns during your dreams was alarming. The was he completely looked down at them. It was really beginning to make sense, the lot of it. Why else would her parents be so close with him? She always thought that he was just pretending to be just like them, an attempt at being polite only, but she was so wrong. He was a twisted individual.