2| the beginning to the now

At the beginning of Seren's Hogwarts journey, she was greeted with many childhood friends. She was a Lestrange, one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight families. It was a known fact that the families chose to stick together instead of interacting with others. Her childhood was spent with particularly Benjamin Lestrange and Liam Nott. With Benjamin it was a given they'd be stuck together, their fathers were brothers which ultimately made them cousins. Liam Nott was one to join later on when they were three. Liam's mother worked at the ministry along with Seren's. The two formed a friendship quickly which in result meant Liam would spend time at the Lestrange manor quite frequently. The three had become inseparable majority of their childhood. The only to ever join in on their fun was Abraxas and Elijah. The pair were loud when together and when it was all five of the children it was complete chaos.

The decision to send Seren to Hogwarts was completely up to Benjamin surprisingly. Seren was an only child, and her parents hope for a boy had gone out the window. With Benjamin they still took it as a chance to have a son and would often ask him how he felt about Seren's actions. Of course the eleven year old boy would've wanted nothing more than for his cousin to stay at Hogwarts with him. He couldn't picture his first year happening with her all the way in Beauxbatons where her parents had suggested. It had been a decision Seren had been thankful for. She was able to attend school with all of her friends, especially knowing she'd most likely be in the same house as them.

The only difference that came to their group was the addition of young Tom Riddle. He was a quiet boy, a big contrast from the boys she had grown up with. He didn't let on much about himself but her cousin was quick to like him. Throughout the years the boys would all become closer. For some time it felt as if she had been forgotten. Tom hadn't forgotten about her. She was a kind girl, she gave him his space when he needed it, and she never questioned him. From a young age Tom knew she was meant to be with him. She was born into a powerful and wealthy family. The boys would be no problem to do his bidding but that wasn't what mattered. What mattered is how powerful he'd look to be married to a Lestrange. That had been the boy's goal since a young age. He knew he was different and powerful, he only needed people to believe it.

She reminded him of a kitten. She always had. She had a soft appearance, seemed to be on the quiet side. Seren usually would have her head in a book. Tom enjoyed that about her. Nobody knew of the foul language she'd use when she'd stub her toe. Or how she once turned Caroline Vincent's book into a beetle when she called her fat. Seren was perfect in appearance and that was what Tom needed on his arm. She was his kitten, his adorably yet viscous pet.

Ever since their first year Tom made it clear the two were acquaintances. He'd pretend that she wasn't a friend to him, he didn't believe in friends, but everyone knew they were. He had a very protective shield around her, as if he thought she was too fragile to handle things on her own. Even at times when her own cousin would pull her into a hug, Tom would only send a stare and the boy would release her. She was oblivious to it all, she didn't notice the amount of times he'd scare a boy away from speaking to her. He was like the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz.