Chapter 4

Armed with the art kit Dante had provided, I found a new purpose in the confines of the dorm. The map each of us had been given became my canvas, a tool to plot, plan, and understand the layout of Mt. Weather. With meticulous care, I marked the levels, sketched out potential exits, and annotated any detail that could be crucial for understanding our environment. It was a methodical process, turning the map into a detailed guide that could potentially aid our navigation through this underground labyrinth. However, my dedication to this task was met with skepticism by the others. Even Clarke, who had always been proactive and often shared my perspective on taking action, seemed to have reservations. Her stance surprised me; she had always been one to confront challenges head-on, but now there was a hesitance, a reluctance that hadn't been there before.

As much as it frustrated me, I couldn't entirely blame her. The comfort and safety of Mt. Weather, after all the hardships we had endured, were seductive. It was a respite from the constant struggle for survival, a haven where for the first time in a long while, we weren't in imminent danger. The allure of this peace was strong, and it was understandable that she, along with the others, would be reluctant to leave it behind. Yet, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that clung to me. The questions about our friends still outside, the mysteries surrounding Mt. Weather, and the true intentions of its inhabitants gnawed at me. My instinct told me that we needed to be prepared, to have a plan, and to understand as much as we could about the place that was now our home.

As I continued to work on the map, adding layers of information and possible escape routes, I found myself increasingly isolated in my concerns. The divide between my urge to act and the others' growing complacency was widening. It was a challenging position to be in, but I knew that staying alert and prepared was crucial, even if it meant going against the grain. The map, now filled with my annotations and theories, was a testament to my determination to stay vigilant. It was a symbol of my resolve to protect my friends, to uncover the truth, and to be ready for whatever lay ahead, even if it meant standing alone in my suspicions and plans. The comfort of Mt. Weather might have swayed the others, but for me, the need to be prepared and informed was a call I couldn't ignore.

Jasper's light-hearted comment about my map momentarily broke the tension. "It's not bad. Maybe they'll hang it on the walls here one day," he said, trying to inject some humor into the situation.

Our attention was diverted as someone shouted, "Miller!" It was a welcome interruption.

"Look who finally got released," Clarke laughed, her voice filled with relief and joy.

"Hey," Miller greeted us with a smile, though the weariness in his eyes was evident.

"Miller. I'm glad you're ok," I said, genuinely relieved to see him up and about.

"Yeah. Only took, what, three surgeries? I hear you're fitting right in," he joked, his tone light but his glance briefly flitting to my map.

I noticed Maya approaching Miller, handing him a bottle of pills. "Twice a day. Don't forget, or else. You'll be ok in a few days," she instructed with a light-hearted tone.

"Thanks," Miller mumbled, a hint of discomfort in accepting the medication.

I turned my attention back to the map when suddenly an alarm started blaring, jolting everyone in the room.

"Hey. What's going on?" I asked Maya, my senses heightened by the urgency of the alarm.

"That signal means the surface patrol is back and someone needs medical attention. I have to go to quarantine," Maya explained hurriedly.

"Hey, Kegan. What are you doing?" Jasper inquired, noticing my sudden interest.

"Maybe they found survivors. If our people are hurt, we have a right to know," I responded, determined to find out more as I followed Maya out the door.