Chapter 24

As we navigated through the chaos of Tondc, preparing to slip away into the relative safety of the woods, my eyes caught Clarke's figure among the crowd. In a moment of silent communication, I mouthed 'run' to her, the urgency of the situation leaving no room for words. Her eyes widened in sudden realization, quickly grasping the gravity of what was unfolding. She nodded, a silent understanding passing between us, and then turned to Kane, saying something that I couldn't hear but knew was her own warning. With a final glance in my direction, she hurried away, disappearing into the throng of people.

We made our way into the dense cover of the woods, the sounds of Tondc fading behind us. As we moved deeper into the forest, my mind was besieged by thoughts of those we were leaving behind. The decision weighed heavily on me, the burden of leadership never feeling so acute. Kane, Octavia, Rider, even Indra - people who had become more than just allies, people who were now part of a shared struggle for survival. Each step I took was haunted by the realization of the impending disaster we were powerless to stop. The thought of them, unaware and unprepared for what was coming, gnawed at me. The idea that we could be losing crucial members of our alliance, friends, and possibly family, was a stark reminder of the harsh realities of the war we were engaged in.

As the forest enveloped us, the sounds of nature around seemed oblivious to the human drama unfolding. Birds chirped, and leaves rustled in the gentle breeze, a stark contrast to the turmoil in my heart. I found myself questioning the decision, the strategy - the very essence of what leadership in war entailed. Were we making the right choices? Was the sacrifice of a few worth the survival of many? The weight of the lives at stake, the responsibility of the decisions made, settled heavily upon my shoulders. Each step forward was a step away from Tondc, a step away from those we were leaving to an unknown fate. The faces of Kane, Octavia, Rider, Indra, and all the others lingered in my mind, a silent reminder of the cost of this war, the price of survival in this unforgiving world.

"Kegan, we must keep moving. We're still dangerously close," Lexa urged, her voice laced with a sense of urgency. "The last missile strike, just before I was born, created a crater so vast in the forest it was said you couldn't see across it. Now, let's go."

An idea sparked in my mind. "What if we made them miss?" I suggested.

Lexa's response was swift, dismissive. "You're not understanding the scale of this weapon. It's not designed to miss."

"But it can," I insisted, my mind racing. "I overheard them talking about a spotter in the field. Someone who directs the missile. If we can just find him, we could—" My words trailed off abruptly as I saw my mother, Abby, approaching.

"What is she doing here?" I muttered, my concern deepening.

"Kegan, it's too late to go back," Lexa warned, her gaze following Abby.

Ignoring her warning, I rushed towards Abby, grabbing her arm and pulling her into the cover of the woods.

"Abby! What are you doing here? You should have stayed back at camp," I scolded, my voice tinged with panic.

Abby's response was sharp, defiant. "Enough, Kegan. I am the Chancellor. I don't need your permission to leave camp," she snapped.

"You don't understand. We need to leave this place, now," I urged, my voice a blend of desperation and fear.

"What's happening, Kegan?" Abby demanded, her eyes searching mine for answers.

"Please, Mom, we can't stay here," I pleaded, using a term I seldom did, which caught her off guard.

The moment I uttered 'Mom', something I rarely did, Abby's stride faltered. Her eyes, usually so full of authority and resolve, softened with surprise and confusion. It was a brief, rare moment of vulnerability that I hadn't anticipated, but it provided the opening I desperately needed. Seizing this unexpected advantage, I tightened my grip on her arm, using the momentum to pull her along with me into the deeper, denser part of the woods. The urgency of the situation left no room for gentle persuasion – I needed to get her to safety, and fast.