Chapter 10

Clarke's question, "Hey, where have you been?" was tinged with a mix of concern and curiosity as she noticed my hurried demeanor. "I was getting my stuff from the drop ship. You need to come back with me, right now," I replied, my voice carrying a sense of urgency that immediately caught her attention. The situation at the camp had evolved rapidly, and it was imperative that she be apprised of the latest developments.

"Why? What happened?" Clarke asked, her brows furrowed in worry. She could sense the seriousness in my tone, a clear indication that something significant had transpired during her absence.

"I'll explain on the way. Bring your med kit, meet me at Raven's gate," I whispered, keeping my voice low to avoid drawing attention. The need for discretion was paramount, especially with the camp on high alert due to the Grounders' threat and the uncertainty surrounding Finn's situation.

Finn, standing a short distance away, overheard our conversation. He appeared troubled, the weight of his recent actions casting a shadow over his demeanor. "This is my fault. The Grounders are attacking because of me," he said, his voice laced with guilt. The massacre at Tondc weighed heavily on him, and he struggled to come to terms with the consequences of his actions.

Bellamy, observing Finn's distress, stepped in to offer some perspective. "The Grounders are attacking because that's what they do," he said, attempting to ease Finn's burden. Bellamy understood the complexities of our situation and the nature of the ongoing conflict with the Grounders. His words were meant to provide some comfort to Finn, to remind him that the dynamics of war were often beyond the control of individuals.

Recognizing the urgency in my request, Finn turned to Clarke and made a decision. "Go with Kegan. Your mom said no decision has been made. If that changes, I'll let you know," he said, indicating his willingness to stay behind and face the aftermath of his actions. Finn's words were a testament to his sense of responsibility and his understanding of the gravity of the situation.

Clarke quickly grabbed her medical kit, her movements efficient and purposeful. She knew that time was of the essence and that my request for her to join me was not without reason. As we made our way to Raven's gate, the camp was a hive of activity, with everyone on edge due to the heightened threat level. Our swift walk to Raven's gate was filled with a palpable sense of urgency. The looming deadline set by the Grounders, the precarious situation at Mount Weather, and the uncertainty of our next steps were all factors that added to the urgency of our mission. As we moved forward, our shared determination to navigate these challenges and protect our people was the driving force that kept us focused on the task at hand.

The journey back to the drop ship was swift and tense, each of us wrapped in our own thoughts and concerns. Bellamy, Clarke, and I moved through the forest with purpose, aware of the dangers that lay in every shadow and behind every tree. The drop ship, a relic of our arrival on Earth, stood as a grim reminder of how far we had come and the challenges we still faced. As we approached the drop ship, I could sense Clarke's apprehension growing. She was unaware of the grim discovery that awaited us, a revelation that would further complicate our already precarious situation.

Octavia and Bellamy were waiting for us, their expressions grim. The news they had to share was shocking, even in a world where we had grown accustomed to constant surprises and threats. They had found Lincoln, but not as we had hoped or expected. In an old parking garage, a place that once symbolized the mundane routines of a world long gone, they had stumbled upon a harrowing scene.

The Mountain Men had captured Lincoln and turned him into a Reaper, one of the terrifying, altered beings we had come to fear. The transformation was a brutal process, stripping away the victim's humanity and turning them into something unrecognizable, a tool of war and aggression. Clarke's reaction to seeing Lincoln in this state was one of shock and horror. The Lincoln we had known, a strong and compassionate Grounder who had bridged the gap between our people and his, was gone. In his place stood a creature driven by base instincts and aggression, a stark example of the lengths to which the Mountain Men would go to achieve their goals. The revelation of what had happened to Lincoln hit all of us hard, but for Octavia and Bellamy, it was particularly personal. Octavia's relationship with Lincoln had been a symbol of hope, a sign that Grounders and Sky People could find common ground and understanding. To see him transformed into a Reaper was a devastating blow, shattering any illusions we might have held about the nature of our enemy.