Chapter 14

"Marcus," Abby breathed out, her voice a blend of shock and relief that resonated in the tense air of the makeshift command center. Her eyes, wide with a mix of concern and disbelief, lingered on Kane's weary face.

"Chancellor," Kane responded, his voice laced with a hint of formality yet softened by the evident fatigue of his ordeal. He stood there, a little disheveled, his clothes bearing the marks of his recent captivity.

"I was afraid that I wouldn't see you again," Abby confessed, her sigh echoing her deep-seated fears. The relief in her voice was palpable, yet underscored by a lingering anxiety about what his return meant for all of them.

"I had those fears myself. It's good to see this place again," Kane admitted, his gaze drifting over the familiar surroundings of the command center, taking in the sight of what had once been a distant hope during his time in captivity.

"We can't be out in the open. We need to get somewhere safe," I interjected, a sense of urgency in my voice as I glanced warily towards the entrances, acutely aware of the precariousness of our position.

"It's safe for the moment. Come on, we need to talk. I managed to buy us a little time," Kane spoke quickly, a determined glint in his eyes. He gestured for me to follow him, indicating the importance of the conversation that lay ahead.

Upon entering a secure room, its walls stark and unadorned, Abby's concern was evident. "Where did they keep you?" she inquired, her gaze intense, seeking to understand the full extent of Kane's experience.

"In the commander's stronghold, I think. I wasn't exactly a prisoner, but I wasn't free to leave either. Not until this morning, when they suddenly put a bag over my head and brought me here," Kane explained, his tone matter-of-fact, belying the undercurrent of tension that such an experience must have entailed.

As the door opened to admit Jaha, escorted by guards, Kane rose to greet him. His expression shifted from welcome to surprise upon noticing Jaha's bound hands.

"What's going on?" Kane queried, his confusion evident as he looked from Jaha to Abby.

"Apparently the Chancellor deems me a very dangerous man," Jaha said, his voice tinged with irony, despite the seriousness of his situation.

"Wait outside," Abby instructed the guards firmly, her authority as Chancellor apparent in her commanding tone.

"The former Chancellor is being detained for treason. No offense, Marcus, but I'm retaining the title until this crisis is resolved," Abby declared, her eyes moving between Jaha and Kane, conveying the weight of the decision she had made.

"I'd advise you not to contest this," Jaha added, his advice carrying a mix of resignation and pragmatic acceptance.

"You bought us time. How?" Abby turned her attention back to Kane, seeking clarity amidst the unfolding complexities.

"I've established a rapport with the Commander. I believe she might be receptive to a proposal I have in mind," Kane said, a note of cautious optimism in his voice as he broached a potential solution to their dire situation.

"What kind of proposal?" Abby pressed, her gaze intent on Kane, searching for a glimmer of hope in his response.

"We propose a trial for the boy here, for war crimes," Kane suggested, his proposal hanging heavily in the room, fraught with moral and practical implications.

"Abby, conducting the trial here would at least allow us to oversee the process and ensure his fair treatment," Jaha interjected, lending his support to the idea despite the gravity of what it entailed.