Chapter 26

As she turned to walk away, Rider approached us with an order. "Commander," he addressed Lexa.

"Octavia," Lexa acknowledged her with a nod.

"You are needed on the southern guard post," Rider informed her, his tone official.

Octavia hesitated, her eyes briefly meeting mine before turning away. "Indra expects me on a scouting mission with Lincoln," she said, her voice strained.

"Now you are needed on guard duty. Indra will join you shortly," Rider continued, conveying the urgency of the situation.

Lexa gave Octavia a nod of understanding, and with that, Octavia walked away, her steps heavy with unspoken thoughts and emotions. The exchange left a somber air hanging between us. The complexity of our situation, the difficult choices, and the personal sacrifices were more evident than ever. In these moments, the harsh realities of leadership and the burden of decision-making were starkly clear.

I turned back to Lexa, my voice laced with assurance despite the uncertainty. "She won't say anything," I said, believing in Octavia's understanding of the stakes at hand.

Lexa, however, wasn't as convinced. "You can't be sure of that. Too many people are aware of what happened, Kegan," she responded, her tone reflecting the gravity of the situation.

Frustration began to seep into my voice. "You focus on your people, and I'll handle mine," I retorted, the stress of the situation making me terse. Without waiting for a response, I turned and walked back into the tent, needing a moment to collect my thoughts.

After a few minutes of restless contemplation, I stepped back out, seeking a breath of fresh air. The sight of Indra sitting by the fire caught my attention. Her presence was always a reminder of the strength and resilience that defined our allies.

"Indra, aren't you supposed to be on watch?" I asked, surprised to see her there.

"I don't stand post," she replied succinctly, her gaze fixed on the fire.

I nodded, understanding her role as more strategic than a regular sentry. "Well, uh, where's Octavia?" I inquired, curious about her whereabouts given the recent conversation.

"With Lincoln, scouting the mountain," Indra informed me, her voice even and devoid of any additional context.

"Thank you," I said, a sense of relief washing over me at the knowledge that Octavia was actively engaged in a mission, possibly providing her with a distraction from our earlier confrontation.

As I stood there, watching the flames dance in the fire pit, the pieces began to fall into place. Octavia and Lincoln's scouting mission was a crucial part of our strategy against Mount Weather. Their bravery and commitment, even in the face of personal turmoil and the complexities of our situation, were a stark reminder of the collective effort and sacrifices necessary to achieve our goals. In that moment, by the fire, with Indra's stoic presence and the weight of recent events, I felt a renewed sense of determination. The challenges we faced were immense, but with the combined strengths and skills of our diverse group, there was hope. Hope that we could overcome the odds, hope for victory, and hope for a future where such painful sacrifices would no longer be necessary.

The realization hit me like a physical blow: Lexa had sent Octavia out there with a hidden, darker purpose. Anger and disbelief surged through me as I sprinted towards the guard post, driven by a desperate need to intervene. My worst fears seemed to materialize when I arrived and saw Rider, his bow drawn, aiming an arrow directly at an unsuspecting Octavia. Adrenaline flooded my system as I quickly assessed the situation.

"Don't move," I commanded sharply, pressing the barrel of my gun just inches from Rider's head. The urgency and authority in my voice halted him in his tracks.