Chapter 15

The fleeting sense of security we had felt inside the drop ship was shattered in an instant by Bellamy's urgent shout. "We've got company!" His voice, sharp and clear, cut through the air, signaling immediate danger. The urgency in his tone sent a wave of adrenaline coursing through me.

Almost immediately, Clarke and Finn emerged from the drop ship, their faces etched with alarm. Clarke's eyes darted around the clearing, assessing the situation with a rapidity born of necessity. "Get to cover," I yelled, my voice echoing her urgency.

"We're surrounded," Clarke stated, her voice steady despite the panic that threatened to rise. Her gaze was fixed on the tree line, her eyes searching for movement, for any sign of the enemy that lurked just beyond our sight.

In a flurry of motion, we scrambled back into the drop ship, our movements synchronized by the shared instinct to survive. Once inside, I peered cautiously through a small gap, scanning the forest for any signs of our adversaries. "They aren't getting any closer," I noted, trying to make sense of their tactics.

"They're staying out of range until it's dark," Bellamy analyzed, his mind always strategizing, always trying to stay one step ahead of our enemies.

Raven, ever the fighter, was quick to suggest a counterattack. "Well, at least if we hit them now, we take them by surprise," she said, her voice tinged with a readiness to act.

Clarke, however, was more cautious. "We don't even know how many of them are out there," she reminded us, her practicality a necessary counterbalance to our impulsive instincts.

"Well, I'm not hearing any better ideas, Clarke," Raven retorted, her frustration with the situation evident in her tone.

"We'll give them something," I said, trying to contribute a solution to our dire predicament.

"All they want is Finn," Bellamy said, stating the grim reality that hung over us like a dark cloud.

Raven's next words were hesitant, her voice lower, almost reluctant. "Finn wasn't the only one at the village," she said, her gaze shifting away, unable to meet my eyes.

Clarke's confusion was apparent. "What are you talking about?" she asked, her brow furrowing in concern.

"Raven, hold on," I interjected, sensing the weight of the revelation she was about to make.

My voice rose in a mix of confusion and betrayal. "Woah, woah, woah. Raven, I came here to protect him. He's been my best friend. You wanted me to come," I said, the words tumbling out in a rush of emotion. "That's why you asked me to come along. What happened to our friendship?"

Raven finally spoke, her revelation a bombshell that added a new layer of complexity to our already fraught situation. "Enough Grounders saw him at the village to think that he was the shooter. They both have dark, longer hair," she explained, her admission hanging heavy in the air, a stark reminder of the dangerous misconceptions that could cost us dearly.

The realization that Raven was pointing the finger at me, even indirectly, sent a jolt of disbelief and hurt through me. It was clear that her words were driven by fear and anger, yet the sting of her apparent betrayal was sharp. The idea that she would suggest me, even implicitly, as a scapegoat in place of Finn – her ex and someone who had wronged her – was bewildering. I felt a mix of betrayal and shock; it was a harsh reminder of how desperation could twist loyalties and blur lines.

Finn, my best friend, was far from perfect. We had shared moments of camaraderie and conflict alike. I understood his flaws, and though I had stood by him through thick and thin, it was jarring to find myself potentially sacrificed in his stead. The weight of the situation, the idea that I could be considered expendable, was a heavy burden, one that I felt was unjustly placed upon my shoulders.