15. Aria

Rurik followed behind us as I drove back to my apartment to pack some bags for myself and Daniel. I'd eventually have to fully move out and end my lease, but I didn't plan to do that for a while. Having my own place seemed like a good idea for now. As much as I loved and trusted Rurik, I didn't want to be homeless with no backup plan, if things between us went south in a month or two.

I packed quickly, still a little scared that Alessandro might decide to pop up again. He'd said he wouldn't be coming by until the morning, but I wouldn't put it past him to attempt a sneak attack. But luckily, everything went smoothly. Even the daunting, ever-present SUVs had finally disappeared.

Things felt eerily peaceful.

After getting everything packed up, Daniel and I followed Rurik to his apartment building. I realized that I had never even been there. We had met up for all of our day dates, and then after the visit from Alejandro and Lara, Rurik usually just came over to my apartment to hang out. We'd never even attempted another nighttime date.

But thankfully, the building looked elegant and modern, and I felt reassured once again that I'd made the right decision. It was in a busier part of town, with cafes and restaurants everywhere. Knowing that I wouldn't be secluded and could easily hail a taxi if something ever happened to my car was extremely comforting.

Then I quickly realized that there was no parking lot. I'd have to park on the street, and it didn't appear to be free. Maybe it would just be easier to leave my car at my apartment and use taxis and public transportation...

Rurik parked, and then got out to help me unbuckle Daniel and carry our bags. I couldn't help but smile as I noticed the little spring in his step; he was still so excited. Daniel had perked up considerably and he, too, seemed excited to be spending the night at a new place for the very first time.

We entered the building and took an elevator to the top floor. When we walked inside, I felt very, very confused. The place was expensive-looking and massive. And it clearly wasn't a normal apartment. It was a penthouse, actually.

Didn't he say this was a 2-bedroom???

I'd expected a humble little place like mine, but with one extra bedroom. There were too many doors for this to just be a 2-bedroom home. I set Daniel down, and he immediately ran around, squealing excitedly. Compared to our humble abode, this place probably felt like a palace.

Rurik laughed as he watched Daniel's excited antics and then looked up at me happily. I just stared at him, confused. He seemed to understand my confusion and looked a little sheepish. "Rurik, you live here?? Alone?! This place is huge! You're a full-time student, working part-time at a grocery store. How do you live here?!"

He shifted his legs awkwardly and scratched his head, then stepped closer and placed his hands on my shoulders hesitantly. "Malia, I think I mentioned this before...But my parents own the grocery store we work for. They actually own the whole chain of stores... And this apartment. But since it's so close to the university, and they prefer their other home in the mountains, they've allowed me to live here while I finish school.