Chapter 17 - Maze

When I woke up I was still thinking about Newt acting so strange. What did Minho say to him? I quietly got up and saw Newt still lying in his bed. His blond hair was messy and half of his face was covered under the blanket. As quiet as possible I got dressed.

'Hey, Raven.' Frypan greeted me and gave me two sandwiches. 'Here's your backpack.' He also handed me my small Runner backpack.

'Oh thanks Fry. See ya!' I walked away and sat down. Frypan had already packed my lunch and my dagger was also in my backpack as usual.

'Hey, Shortie.' I heard the familiar nickname and looked up.

'Morning.' I said as Minho sat down.

'Ready for today?' Minho took a bite of his food.

'Yeah.' I answered. 'So..' I started. 'What did you tell Newt yesterday?' I asked again.

'Once again, you should ask Newt not me.' He held his hands in the air.

'Come on!'

'Nope.' He said popping the p.

I sighed and just continued eating. We put our backpacks on and walked to the Doors which would open in a few minutes. As we passed the Homestead, Newt walked out.

'Oh, hey.' He looked a little tired.

'Hey, we were just about to leave. I'll see you at dinner.' I smiled and followed Minho.

We arrived at the Doors and they opened. Minho said goodbye and we both ran off.

I took turns, wrote things down and cut off some of the thick ivy. I took a small break every thirty minutes. I repeated this the whole morning. It was almost twelve o'clock so I just sat down and got the lunch Frypan had made. Just like everyday it were two sandwiches with cheese or eggs.

I was just sitting against the wall thinking about some things. Like the memories, luckily I haven't had them in a while. I was thinking about Newt too, when I heard a sound.
It sounded like metal clicking. Shuck! I saw a Griever blocking my way. If I wanted to go back I would have to ran past it, and I was definitely not going to do that. I decided I would have to run the other way, going even further into the maze. I quickly put the backpack on my back and ran. I started to ran faster and faster hearing the metal sound right behind me.

Don't look back. Don't look back.

I took a turn and leaned against the wall, catching my breath. The metal clicking had stopped. Quietly, so the Griever wouldn't hear it, I opened my backpack and got the dagger out. I turned my head and saw the Griever standing there, still blocking the way.

It was getting late and I really needed to go back to the Glade before the Doors closed. I took a deep breath and ran towards the Griever. While I ran past it I threw the dagger at it. The sharp part landed in the Griever's skin. The Griever made a loud noise, it was so loud that I thought even the Gladers could've heard it. I ran past it and made my way back, but the Griever was still following me.

As I ran, for what felt like hours, my legs started to hurt. I kept going but noticed I was running slower now. The sound of the Griever it's legs came closer and closer. I gave every last bit of my energy. It felt like my lungs exploded. I knew I was close to the Glade now, just a little more.

My legs were giving up, since I was running for hours. I felt myself slowing down and the noise the Griever made came closer and closer. The Glade luckily wasn't that far away anymore.

I kept running, but it felt like my legs moved in slow motion. I turned right and knew I would only have to take one last turn to see the Glade.

Suddenly I felt a horrible pain in my lower back. It felt like it was literally burning. I wanted to stop running so badly but I couldn't. I was going to make it, and everything would be okay. I ran and the Doors had appeared, but no one was standing there.