Chapter 6: Reunited

Olive's face turned to horror as she watched the now shimmered addicts grow and change right next to Silco. She had to get them out of there. Realizing that Silco was completely focused on Vi, Olive quietly slipped out behind her and headed for the rickety scaffolding that held up a giant neon purple eye. One of the symbols of what she now realized was Silco's takeover — and what also happened to be the main source of light in her apartment. Clenching her jaw, Olive focused all of her weight and strength into her shoulder, and slammed herself into the main post holding up the scaffolding. Fuck, that hurt. Ignoring the shooting pain in her shoulder, she slammed the post again, rearing up for another hit when Vi's voice caught her attention. Olive glanced over and saw Vi raising her fists in a fighting stance as the shimmered advanced on her.

"Yeah, well. You talk too much."

Vi suddenly moved towards Olive and turned to slam her fist into the post Olive had just been ramming with a yell. The punch was so powerful, a force immediately rocketed up the scaffolding to where the tubes shaping the eye were attached, and the structure began to crumble. The two of them were frozen for a moment, watching it creak and start to fall forward, before Vi grabbed Olive's arm and took off running. Even though Silco and his goons were fully distracted by the giant pieces of metal and wood and fluorescent tube falling on top of them, Olive and Vi kept running. The last thing Olive heard from the incident was Silco's infuriated roaring.

Olive wasn't sure why, but Vi kept them sprinting through the lanes, pushing herself over ledges she would usually be able to climb easily and cursing out anyone who got in their way. That was, until, she abruptly stopped, her eyes trained on something in the distance. Olive backtracked a few steps and looked in the same direction to see a plume of blue smoke rising from an abandoned tower in the distance.

"Powder," Vi whispered under her breath, breaking into a full sprint towards the smoke. Not sure what was going on, but refusing to be left behind in such a situation, Olive followed. As they grew closer, she was able to spot a seemingly teenaged girl with long blue braids holding the device that was sending up the smoke. Vi's sister. She had called her powder, but then why had Silco called her Jinx? Whatever her name was, Vi seemed desperate to reach her.

Vi beat Olive up the tower by a few minutes, so once she had reached the top, Vi was already closely embracing her sister. When the blue haired girl spotted Olive, however, she gasped and pulled away from Vi, aiming her giant machine gun at the former.

"Powder, it's okay, she's a friend," Vi soothed, reaching her hands out to try to calm her sister.

"Sevika wasn't lying, you're with some topsider girl?" Powder accused while still aiming her device. When she shifted, her foot hit a small crystal ball that had a blue glow to it. Strange. "This must be a trick. She- she has to be an enforcer or something. You're tricking me!" She cried, riling herself up. "Shut up! I'm in no mood!"

"We...didn't say anything," Olive responded, confused.

Powder shifted her gun to Olive again. "I wasn't talking to you!"

"Powder, it's okay," Vi said, still trying to calm her down.

"Stop calling me that!" She yelled. "It's Jinx now. Powder fell down a well!"

"You're not a jinx, I never should have called you that-"

"Stop talking to me like I'm a child!" Jinx swung and pointed her gun at Vi. "Is that why you came? For this stupid stone?"

"No, I don't even know what that is, I..."

Jinx laughed. "You're a class act, sister. Sister, thought I missed her. Bet you wouldn't miss her..." her eyes wandered sporadically like she wasn't only talking to Vi. Her finger clicked on the trigger and the machine suddenly started spinning.

"I'm here for you, Powder, only you!" Vi shouted, knocking the gun away from her face. God, that thing looked heavy. "You can fire that thing at me if you want, but I'm not going anywhere! I'm not going to abandon you again." Her voice quieted as she reached out to stroke Jinx's arm.

Jinx backed away and started looking around strangely, holding her head. "Everyone, shut up! I need to think." She suddenly shot back to attention and aimed her gun once again. "Did anyone else hear that?"

Looking around, Olive started to hear glimpses of hi-pitched voices and the creaking of metal slowly approaching. Turning around, she looked up just in time to see masked figures on glowing hoverboards start to exit from the giant pipes in the cliff behind them. Not waiting a moment, Jinx started to bombard them with bullets. The flying figures descended upon the trio like a swarm of bugs, dipping so low that Olive had to duck to avoid being hit. They shot in diving circles around the tower to confuse them. For Olive, at least, it was working. As they drew closer, Jinx started her manic shooting again, and Vi started fighting with the ones who drew close enough. Olive kept low and behind different objects to stay out of sight, watching the fight closely to find a place where she could be useful. Suddenly, she spotted the blue ball rolling to an edge of the platform near her after being knocked aside by Jinx's foot. Olive darted out and caught it right as it was about to fall over the edge, but when she did, one of the attackers spotted her. She rolled back behind the pole she had been using as a hiding spot and leapt to her feet. The woman who had spotted her dived forward on her hoverboard, and Olive ran from her, almost making it to duck behind two metal crates before the woman caught up with her and pulled her back by her shirt. Olive stumbled back and turned to face the woman as she hopped off her hoverboard, only getting a glimpse of her before the woman punched Olive in the face so hard that she was knocked flat on her back. Her head went spinning, and her hand opened from where it had been holding the orb tightly, her body lax as she tried to stay conscious. She could still hear Vi struggling in her outnumbered fight, and started to panic when she hear her cry out and hit the ground while Olive was still unable to get up.

The masked woman knelt down next to Olive and snatched the blue crystal out of her hand. Olive's eyes opened in time to see her pull a pin out of a small device, and black smoke flooded out, making it impossible to see on the entire platform. Shit. The woman tried to reach over and grab Olive, but she was already up and moving. They must have grabbed Vi as well. Looking around as best she could, Olive spotted the green glow of one of the attackers' hoverboard started to rise off the ground and ran towards it. She took a running leap and shocked even herself as she grabbed on to either side and hung on as the rider tried to get away.

"Let her go, motherfucker!" She shouted through smoke that made her choke on her own words. She heard the rider start to yelp as her weight pulled on the hoverboard, causing it to tilt uncontrollably. With one strong pull of her left arm, the rider was sent tumbling to the ground, and Olive maneuvered herself to be at least fully clinging onto the hoverboard as it continued flying. She knew better than to try and stand hands free on the hoverboard — her clumsy ass would be on the ground in a second. "Sorry," she whispered to herself as she watched the person fall, feeling a little guilty. But she had to focus. She needed Vi, and she wasn't about to lose her now.

She followed the other riders back through the pipes and unfamiliar parts of the undercity she wasn't sure she even knew existed until now. It would have been almost fun, if her arms weren't aching like crazy and she wasn't following the people who had just abducted her companion. Finally, they reached what appeared to be just a normal rock cliff. But as they drew closer, a sort of mechanism started to reveal and opening to another part of the city. Olive was in disbelief. She slid into the entrance right as it was about to close, and finally let herself fall off of the hoverboard. After taking a few steps, the full view of what she was entering came into view, and she was rendered speechless. A giant tree curved and twisted up to the sky, and built into it were a number of homes and other structures. Beautiful paintings covered each flat surface.

But there was one problem. In the few seconds that Olive had been left behind, she had lost sight of the others — meaning she had lost sight of Vi. She was about to rush forward when footsteps suddenly came up from behind her, and a blunt object slammed into her neck.

The world went black.

———————————————————————————

Hello again! Sorry, but I did lie and wait to write and post Chapter 6 until today, but I was mf tired and I only committed to one chapter daily in my description so whatever. As always, remember to comment and vote (none of y'all are doing that, I see you reading and not following directions 🔫)! See ya tomorrow and on tiktok 🫶🏻