Chapter 7: The Firelights

When Olive came to, her head was spinning and her throat felt dry from thirst. She could feel her hands chained behind her, and something covered her head so she was unable to see her surroundings. After taking a moment to realize what was happening, she pulled on her chains to see if they would loosen. All she got in return was a sharp pain in her wrists — it was clear that her abductor was not a beginner in the practice.

"Hello?" she called out tentatively, ears trained on hearing any small movements or distant sounds. What she got in return was loud footsteps coming towards her and a hand roughly ripping off the sack on her head. The first thing to hit her was bright light streaming into the room, making her squint and try blinking rapidly to adjust to the light. The first thing she saw was a masked person who didn't seem older than 12 leaning over her. Shocked at first, Olive nearly jumped. That is, if she hadn't been chained while on the floor.

"Who are you? Where am I?!" She spat, lurching forward to see if she could knock into her watcher. They said nothing, cocking their head almost robotically before moving towards a large opening in the wall that was letting in the bright light. It was when Olive turned to follow their movements that she spotted the figure perched on the opening.

The person was dark skinned with a large portion of his face painted with a dramatic white shape, which matched the dreads that sat on top of his head. He was glaring at Olive like he regretted not already getting rid of her. Olive returned the look.

"What have you done with Vi?" She demanded. He continued glaring. "Look. I'm the reason she's here in the first place. Whatever you want with her, take me instead. Just let her go!" Olive tried again to tug at her binds, to no avail. Suddenly, another figure swung around the side of the opening.

"My hero," Vi crooned, leaning against the wall with a smirk.

"Vi!? Wh- I thought they were going to hurt you!" Olive exclaimed, her shock obvious on her face.

"Vi says I can trust you. After the stunt you pulled with my firelights, I find that hard to believe," the still unnamed man said, his glare unwavering.

"I'm sorry, you attacked us and then abducted Vi! What else am I supposed to do?" Olive retorted with a similar look. Vi rolled her eyes.

"Olive, this is Ekko. He's an old friend," Vi explained casually.

"Okay, if he's such a 'friend', why did you end up unconscious, being hauled off to whatever this place is? And why am I still chained by my goddamn hands?!" Olive tugged again and transferred her glaring to Vi.

"Ekko, please?" Vi sighed and looked at him. Looking apprehensive, he sighed and walked over to Olive, reaching behind her and removing the chains with a few movements. Olive moved her hands in front of her and examined her sore and reddened wrists. Ekko held out a hand and helped her pull herself up from the ground. Once standing, she stopped, looked around, and laughed.

"What the fuck am I doing," she said, in disbelief of what her own life had become. Ekko chuckled.

"You seriously think this is funny?" He said with a smile.

"If I don't, I think I'll lose it," Olive replied with a smirk. "Vi probably already told you everything, but I'm Olive. Most people call me Ol," she said, holding out a hand to shake. Ekko slapped his hand against hers and curled his fingers into hers to do a casual shake.

"Let's hope you don't feel the need to topple anyone else over an edge."

Ekko led them through the sunlit tree community, explaining it to Olive, who clearly hadn't gotten the same introduction as Vi.