Chapter 8: Friends Forever

Vi and Olive ventured into Piltover as quietly they could, Olive biting her lip and swallowing cries of pain from her leg. The farther they walked, the more she began to falter, and each step felt like it may be her last before she finally collapsed. Vi kept sending her worried glances from where she supported her.

"Ol, you're hurt, we need to stop," Vi urged, trying to slow them to a stop. Olive gritted her teeth and kept moving.

"No, we can't. We're almost there, and stopping would be too risky," she replied, hissing when she took another step but not stopping. Vi sighed but kept with her, supporting as much of her weight as she could without fully carrying Olive — she had a feeling her companion would resist that as well. Finally, they turned onto a lamplight street lined with giant gated homes, and Olive took an audible breath.

"This is it. Her house is right over there," Olive said, pointing to what looked like the largest house on the block. Vi wasn't sure whether to laugh or roll her eyes. "We'll have to go around the back and climb onto the balcony. Something tells me her mom won't be all that happy to see me," she continued, picking up the pace. Vi was taken aback.

"Climb? Seriously?" She raised an eyebrow and looked Olive up and down. Olive shrugged.

"I've done it loads of times. It can't be that hard," Olive replied. "Come on, we don't want anyone to spot us."

Olive was wrong. As it turns out, it was very hard to climb a balcony after getting slammed to the ground and your leg slashed with explosive bits of metal and glass, even if you'd done it a hundred times. After watching Olive try over and over again to launch herself onto the wall, Vi sighed and walked over to stop her. Without a word, she grabbed the shorter confidently and threw her over her shoulder like she was a sack of potatoes. Ignoring Olive's hushed cries and protests, she casually scaled the wall with one arm while the other held Olive securely against her. When they reached the balcony, Vi hauled them gently over the railing and set Olive down on her good leg. Olive immediately turned and whacked her on the arm, glaring with her eyebrows furrowed.

"What the hell is wrong with you?! Why would you do that?!?!" She accused in what seemed to be some sort of whisper yell.

"You were taking too long," Vi replied with a shrug. "Would you rather I not help you and have us get caught?"

"There is a difference between helping me and throwing me ov-" Olive's rant was cut short by the sound of the glass balcony door being kicked open. Olive spun around to see just who she was looking for standing there, aiming a shotgun at the pair of them.

"Caitlyn?"

"Olive?" Caitlyn's face went slack, and she lowered her weapon. She sputtered for a moment from shock, looking Olive up and down wildly like she couldn't believe it was really her. Her face broke out into a smile. "Olive!" she gushed, dropping the gun to run over to Olive and squish her into a hug. "I thought I might never see you again!" Olive immediately sank into the tight hug, a smile she hadn't felt in a long time spreading over her face. After what Olive was sure must have been quite a while, the two finally pulled apart.

"Where have you been? I kept thinking I would see you again eventually, but..." Caitlyn trailed off. Olive sighed.

"I couldn't come back. Not after what happened. We're actually here because, well...we need your help."

After Olive explained the whole situation to Caitlyn, the latter sat silently on her bed for a good few minutes, contemplating.

"So you want me to go through my mom, the great iceberg, and convince her to let you have an audience with the council, to bargain with the gemstone that we can't tell anyone about beforehand?" She asked, seeming to question the scenario. Olive and Vi looked at each other, a grimace on Olive's face.