Chapter 9: The Song of Return

Time had passed too quickly for Olive and Caitlyn, and soon Olive forced herself to retire to the guest room so that they could both get some sleep. When she opened the door, Olive expected to see Vi sleeping on the bed or doing something similar. But the room was empty. Her heart sped up instinctively with anxiety.

"Vi?" she called out timidly. The door to the en-suite bathroom suddenly opened.

"Need something, cupcake?" Now leaning on the door frame was a clearly just-showered Vi, wearing only a white towel wrapped tightly around her. Her wet hair was a mess against her head. Olive wasn't sure where to look. She cleared her throat nervously, catching herself staring and quickly averting her eyes to look around the room. Vi smirked and raised an eyebrow. "What? Cat got your tongue?"

"No, I, uh...I just um, I just...you weren't in the room, so I..." Olive trailed off awkwardly, internally cursing herself.

"Mmm. I see," Vi said, her eyes trained on Olive. "Well, the bathroom is all yours now. The hot water feels great," she continued slyly as she walked past Olive into the open room. Olive could feel her face burning with an intense blush.

"Sounds, uhhhh...sounds great," she replied, failing to have a casual tone. Without another word, she shot into the bathroom and closed the door behind her. Cringing at herself, she held her head in her hands and slid down to the floor against the door. Fuck.

When she could breathe again, Olive stood and forced to give herself a long shower, even though she felt bone-tired. She hadn't realized how much she needed it until she let herself stand, finally clean, under the hot water and just think. She stayed there until the water started to feel too hot, at which point she gently turned it off and finally got out. She took her time drying her body and her hair, savoring the fluffy towels and clean mirrors.

When Olive finally came out of the bathroom, she saw Vi already laying on the bed, seemingly already passed out. Something about the sight made her smile. As quietly as she could, Olive crept over to the bed and laid down on the opposite side, facing Vi. She looked so peaceful — something Olive never really saw. Without thinking, she gently reached her hand out to stroke it against Vi's face. To her shock, Vi's eyes gently opened. Olive gasped quietly and went to pull her hand away, but Vi had already grasped it in her own hand. Without a word, the magenta haired girl closed her eyes again, still holding Olive's hand in her own. Olive drifted off to sleep only moments later.

When Olive awoke, the first thing she noticed was how warm and comfortable she was. Moments later, she realized that was because she was gently wrapped in Vi's arms, who held her from behind and was clearly still asleep. Olive slowly began trying to get up so that she could find Caitlyn, but when she was halfway up, Vi's grip suddenly tightened and she pulled Olive back forcefully. Her muscular arms wrapped tighter around Olive so it was harder for her to get up again.

"Vi, I have to-"

"Shhh, I'm still sleeping," Vi murmured, interrupting her before she could give an excuse. Well, Olive couldn't argue with that — or at least she didn't want to. She let herself sink into Vi's body, and there they lay until they were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Ol? Are you awake yet?" Caitlyn called. Olive sighed, knowing she needed to get up and deal with life when she wished she could just forget about it all and lay there with Vi forever.

"I'll be up in a minute!" Olive called back. Wordlessly, Vi let her go and the two of them began to get up. They needed to be ready.

The three of them ate breakfast together in Caitlyn's room, with her mainly watching Olive and Vi eat while she picked at her own food. The two of them seemed absolutely famished, Vi even more so than Olive. But it was Olive's hunger that made Caitlyn truly sad. She needed to change the subject.