Chapter 58

Chapter 58

Inky blackness enveloped Aria's castle below, casting an eerie shadow over the ancient stones. Hordes of shadow soldiers flooded through the streets, reaching to the moat that circled Aria's castle. The stone bridge that crossed the moat was flooded with darkness-the same shadow soldiers. They pounded mercilessly on the gate leading to the castle.

I looked behind us where we had taken off to see Illtyd collide with the Shadow, and his white energy sparked in the air like lightning coming from the ground.

I clutched Rowan tightly as Ezra tilted forward past the gate to the castle courtyard. "Our Elementals," I said against Rowan's ear. "They're free."

Rowan sighed heavily, a painful thing in my ears. "Not yet," he said. "Not until that Shadow is destroyed."

Ezra stretched his dragonfly wings to land. His form of the laikana, just like the original, was enormous, stretching several lengths of the castle gate. With powerful strokes, he swooped in front of the black castle, carving a path through the throngs of soldiers and citizens. The fluttering of his wings created a gust of wind, lifting dust and debris in its wake. His colossal form cast a shadow over the onlookers as he gracefully descended.

With a shock, I realized he would never be secret again, not in Aria. He would never be the secret, hidden king of Tekin. Never be the hidden shapeshifter.

He was risking everything -- his livelihood, his people, his cause -- to fight this battle with us.

Behind me, Baruch stiffened. "Prepare yourself, Ezra. They won't be expecting dragon folk."

His words rang true as the people around us backed up in terror, but I saw one man in shining silver armor step forward. King Gavin De Luca had a grim look on his bearded face, and his resemblance to Titus was so startling I had to take another look.

And then I saw the man standing next to Gavin.

"Father?" I whispered as I stared at Nigel Brackenbury, clothed in finery that didn't suit his gambling history.

King Gavin extended his hand to me, helping me down from the laikana's back. "Lady Brackenbury," he said in a formal tone while Father exclaimed, "Lan!" As I dismounted, my father rushed forward to embrace me. His powerful arms enveloped me in a bear hug, and I was surprised to feel the quiver of arrows strapped to his back. "I had no idea you were an archer," I said, caught off guard by this revelation.

"I'm a jester, Lan," he replied, letting me go. "But I'm also a minstrel. Have to defend the king, you know," he replied with a wink. Even so, his generally exuberant face was mellowed with sorrow.

I felt the panic in the back of my mind as I stared at Father's face. It slowed as the realization of everything I had to lose crept into my mind. Above, the screeching of basilisks and whistling of arrows piercing their thick skin nearly drowned out the grating sound of the shadow soldiers pounding the castle gates. Rowan stood on my left, protectively, like a watchful older brother. Ezra stood close on my right, his long whiskers brushing my shoulder.

All of these people were here, protecting me. Never before had I felt so empowered yet so utterly powerless.

Little fool, Eden's voice whispered gently, yet stronger than it had ever been, in my mind, what did I say about doubt?

I hugged my father. "Do you trust me?"

His deep-throated laugh reverberated through his broad chest. "Darling, you're saving the world. How could I not trust you?" he said. Then, he added, "Who are these boys behind you? When did they show up?"