Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"You're doing it wrong."

Two minutes into Baruch's sparring session with Clarice, it became clear that he wasn't pleased with her.

I sat cross-legged in the corner of the training room, the room Titus had been training in earlier with the smooth crystal walls and soft lighted ceiling. I'd found a book on defense tactics in my room and brought it to read in a secluded place when I found Clarice and Baruch.

They didn't seem to mind when I claimed the corner for myself. I needed something to do, and Clarice's voice -- although tinted with growls of growing frustration -- kept me from focusing on the imminent weight on my chest.

We were to leave in a mere few hours.

"Again." Baruch's command was quiet as usual, but it packed a carefully calculated power. His tall stature outmatched Clarice as she panted in front of him in a defense stance, feet spread wide and fists lifted to her chin. Titus had trained me enough in our travels that I'd learned her feet were too wide, her fists were too close to her face.

"It's weak." He lunged forward and cuffed her across the forearms. She fell on her bottom. "Your stance is weak. You lack the drive."

"You told me that losing is learning."

Baruch swiped a hand through disheveled blond hair to keep it out of his face. "Indeed. But you'll learn nothing if you're dead."

"Who's to say I'll die?" she snipped back, rubbing her bottom as she rose to her feet.

Quick as a feline, Baruch shot forward and drew a blade, aiming at her throat. I gasped. Clarice, however, caught his movement just in time and ducked out of the way. Her own movement sent her rolling to the ground. "Baruch!" she cried.

He stood gracefully and sheathed his dagger in a hidden holster at his hip. He looked over his shoulder and nodded. "At this point, you're trained enough to fend off a weak beggar. I'm going to the auction in your place."

"No!" Her cry came out high-pitched, panicked. I'd seen how she looked up to Ezra and Baruch -- but especially Baruch. He'd been training her since she came to the Underground. In this mission she'd been given a vital role. I wasn't surprised to see her fight his decision, though I agreed. I didn't want Clarice in danger any more than he did.

He crossed his arms, and she composed herself, trying again: "I can do it. I'm strong enough. I won't have to fight, anyway-"

"You don't know that," he said.

I watched Baruch as his posture stiffened in resolution. Clarice threw out her arms. "What was all this training for, then?" she asked. "When I came to Ezra, he said he'd train me to help you overthrow the capital and save people."

I frowned at my book. She was far too trusting if she believed Ezra's every word. Did Odelia really raise her to become that? I supposed she had never been betrayed before.

"I'm not training you so you can drown in your own pride, Clarice." Baruch turned to leave. "Pride always precedes destruction."

"More of your ridiculous Drushite proverbs?" Clarice's stood at his back, her shoulders tense. "Let me do this."

Baruch glanced her over with a steely russet gaze. "I'm telling Ezra we're switching. You can travel to the castle instead. I'll meet you after I've purchased Ezra and Lannie."

I bit my lip. Should I say something? Clarice didn't need me, though, because she stopped Baruch before he reached the exit. "Please." Her grey eyes spoke an oncoming storm. An eagle prepared for flight. "Let me try again."