Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Morning woke the occupants of the mountain an hour after I left Ezra's chambers. I seated myself at a raised outcropping that overlooked the main chamber and mulled over Ezra's cryptic message. I discovered the outcropping when I wandered through the chambers. No one had seen me exit Ezra's chambers, thankfully.

The people milled about beneath me, both magical creature and human. It reminded me of King Gavin's camp back in Eremith. He had gathered all races together in order to battle Therin.

I jumped when someone sat next to me. I couldn't help the smile that crossed my face when I saw it was Titus. His shoulder bumped mine when he sat down.

He wore a strained smile in return. His simple gray tunic and black trousers mirrored the entire encampment. "How are you doing?" he asked.

I didn't know if he was asking about my sore stomach or my mental health -- both which were in considerably foul condition. I shrugged. "I'm alive."

He chuckled and stared down at the people below. We were just out of sight of them, and they would only notice us if they backed against the wall and looked straight up. "What do you think of Ezra?" he asked. "Do you trust him?"

Considering what just happened, I wanted to retort, No, of course not. But I didn't. "I've learned to trust no one," I replied. "Not after everything that's happened."

Titus looked at me for a long time. "Not everyone will betray you, Lannie."

"But if I assume that everyone will, I won't get hurt."

He shook his head. "That's not a healthy way to go about things, you know."

"It's the smart way." I hugged my knees. "I can't allow anyone to endanger my duty."

"Not even me?"

I started. Titus was looking away, his expression unreadable. "Of course not," I said. "What are you talking about?"

"You're so focused on your duty," he said. A bitter note tainted his words. "Maybe I'm getting in your way."

I was speechless for several moments. "You fool," I said with a laugh. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you." I put my hand on his shoulder, and he flinched back as if I had burned him. I withdrew my hand. "Is everything okay?"

He rubbed his shoulder with his free hand. "I'm just tired. Jumpy. Restless." He looked at the vaulted ceiling and at the people below. "The caverns are starting to get to me." He laughed and shook his head. "I don't know what it is. I don't ever feel well when I'm cooped up."

I forced a smile even though my heart twisted. "Everyone feels like that sometimes. Why don't you get some more rest?"

He stood up. "Breakfast might come first." The prince smiled at me. "Care to join me?"

"Absolutely." I reached up to take his hand, but he had already spun on his heel.

I stood and followed him. Worry gnawed at the back of my head. Ezra's words echoed like untimely advice: When you don't even understand his identity...

***

For breakfast, we entered the same dining room as last night. The heated crystals in the disks along the chamber walls seemed to vibrate more intensely than before.

I seated myself across from Titus at the long oak table. Clarice and Ezra were there, eating bowls of what looked like mashed up potato soup. The old maid from before, Selan, set the mushy soup before us. I ate it gratefully and listened to Clarice jabber about absolutely nothing to Ezra. First, she talked about the weather and how it was getting colder. Winter was coming, and ice storms were penetrating Tekin like never before. There was another windstorm in Aria, from what the Drushite reports had told her.