Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I didn't know who was more surprised that Titus stumbled out of the crystal. The shaman's face was stunned, but I was floored.

Titus shook his head rapidly. When he saw me, his face brightened. When he saw the sword in my hand, his eyes flicked to the shaman and his face darkened just as quickly. He made his way over to me as the shaman stood with the dagger still in his hand. Titus gripped my arm, his eyes on the shaman. "Are you okay?"

I studied him. His skin had an ethereal glow, and his canine teeth were pointed. He had been using his magic. "I'm fine," I said, gently prying his fingers off of my arm. "How...?" I indicated to him, then the crystal.

He shook his head. "Later. Who is he?"

I tapped the sword against the crystal floor. It made a strange ding that hurt my ears, so I resolved not to do it again. "The shaman, apparently."

Titus straightened, surprised. "Is it true?"

The shaman looked between the both of us as if unsure what to say.

"Well," I said with a shrug, "he said it was true, so it's probably not."

Both Titus and the shaman gave me a quizzical look. The shaman looked more irritable than anything.

"It is true," the shaman said. He pocketed his dagger with a wary glance at my sword, then at Titus. "Who might you be?"

"Crown Prince of Aria, Titus De Luca." He bowed. "We have come here to--"

"I actually don't think that's necessary," I told Titus. "He's not--" I cleared my throat. "Well--" Words didn't come. I had no reason to reject the shaman other than the fact that he had attacked me, somehow pulled me from the magical realm, and that he was extremely young and therefore inexperienced. Surely those were valid reasons.

"What is it you wish to know?" The shaman addressed Titus, perfectly ignoring me.

Titus glanced at me. "We have come to ask if you have knowledge of an entity known as the Shadow."

I gripped my sword, erring on the side of caution. The shaman said nothing. His face was completely calm, no trace of anger in it.

"Why is it that a Harbinger seeks knowledge of this...entity?" the shaman asked, his eyes narrowed.

I stepped forward. "I came with the other two Harbingers of Wind and Fire. We are here to track down the origins of a dangerous entity that cursed the Harbinger of Earth." I thought back to Rowan. What was he doing now? Was he hopelessly lost, trying to find his way to Balua? I could imagine his frail form, reaching for a purchase in this dangerous world. "This entity," I said, "is recognized by Queen Astera of Eremith and the Water Elemental, Eden. It is real, and we believe it is hiding within Balua."

The shaman was silent, and Titus looked at me approvingly.

I didn't have time for foolery. I explained our whole plan. "If you doubt our power, look at Nor. They have abolished slavery and made a treaty with Eremith. We are heading to Balua for a twofold purpose: to abolish slavery and track down the Shadow."

A piercing laugh shot from the shaman's mouth. It was a bitter laugh. He shook his head scornfully. "Abolishing slavery in Balua will be impossible for you."

I crossed my arms. Before, the word impossible would have scared me. Now it just ticked me off, especially when for you was added. "They said it was impossible to free the slaves in Nor. King Abelard was supposedly a crazy fool. But it wasn't impossible," I said, "because we did it. The king was under the influence of Therin, who was under the influence of the Shadow. Please," I entreated, feeling my pride sticking to the base of my skull like a scared cat, "tell us all you know about the Shadow. We will leave you then."