Chapter 35

Chapter 35

I woke to the sound of blades clashing. The high ceiling above me came slowly into focus. I took a deep breath, my eyes following the brilliant sun crisscrossing the pattern of the ceiling until I could turn over on my side. Hadrian lay a few paces away, rubbing his head as if he had just recovered from sleep. A vial lay empty in front of him. The antidote to Alika's poison.

I sat up, and my head throbbed. My mouth tasted sour. Dagra and Synnove fought as if Synnove was keeping the Tia'in away from us. The sound of bladed spear and daggers clashing created a discordant clang throughout the room. Near one of the chairs, Alika sat on the ground, her eyes wide and her mouth open in shock, likely from the force of Synnove's scream.

The scream that sent me into the past -- into Eden's memories.

I set a hand on my forehead and stared at the marble flooring beneath my boots.

What kind of Elemental ignores such evil?

The meaning of the words simmered inside of me, heating until it became a raging, boiling mess. I did not know what to think, or what to feel.

The Shadow -- Mikkel -- the monster that infiltrated Etheia with darkness and evil, manipulated innocent people, murdered hundreds, and started a war...was an Elemental.

The betrayal hit hard and hit fast.

I stood on shaky legs and looked upon Synnove and Dagra fighting, clashing. No guards entered at the sound. They were probably holding the door to keep out Mayra and the others. Such meaningless, meaningless violence.

"Hadrian," I said, my voice scratchy and my heart dull, "can you stand?"

He looked up at me, and his green-flecked brown eyes were confused. "The antidote..."

"Synnove must have given it to us while we slept." I moved over to the empress and knelt before her. She was in a state of shock, pregnant and vulnerable. How could she put herself in this position?

Sometimes, good people are driven to do evil things for the sake of good.

Alika's words shattered what little self-control I had.

I rose. Dagra knocked Synnove to the ground and rushed to stab her.

There was anger inside me, and I would deal with this no longer.

I looked at the fountain outside the solarium. "Eden," I commanded, "awaken."

The force of blue light burst through the solarium windows and shocked Dagra back. Brilliant light swept through the small room, engulfing us all. My head felt light and fuzzy.

I did not look at Eden as she appeared.

"Dagra," I said, "this is the power of the Elementals. They will not bow to you, and we will not be your slaves. Empress Alika Zar." I crouched in front of her. She didn't respond, so I snapped my fingers in front of her face. She blinked slowly, then quickly.

Her eyes found Eden. They widened.

I didn't have the patience for her awe or shock. "Where is your husband?" I asked. "We need to make a peace treaty."

Synnove appeared behind the chair, daggers out. Her expression was haunted. "Lannie," she whispered, "it is the emperor who is going to die. I saw it in my visions. Him, along with all the men in his guard."

Alika gasped painfully. "You are a banshee, the Harbinger of Fire," she whispered. She sobbed. "No... No! Please," she begged me, clutching my tunic, "you must save him."