Prologue

"There has not been a day when I didn't think about you! Just know in my heart that I'm willing to fix everything. You're my daughter after all."

"Fix everything? There's nothing to repair! There's too much damage to fix and you know it. Now you decide that you want to be a father to me?!"

"I know I can't go back and undo what I did. Yes, I was irresponsible. Yes, I took the easy way out and yes, I was selfish but that doesn't mean that I don't love you."

"If you loved me, you wouldn't have done what you did!" Tears roll down my face as I look at him. I despised him. I hated him. Every part of me was burning like a fire burning a house. I can't bear to look at him anymore and I walk away.

"Don't walk away from me!" He said in a raspy voice. I feel his hand grab my wrist and I'm being pulled back and I snatch my hand away. He suddenly starts sobbing. "I know you hate me but ple-" He attempts to hug me but I back away and I unleash anger I've never unlesshed before.

"No! All my life, I've resented you! All my life I've had to swallow every ounce of hatred I had towards you in order to live my life like you never existed. I've had to live life being jealous of the kids that got to be raised by both parents. And here you are, after 17 years, wanting to enter my life. And you want me to give you a chance like it's some game? I'm not some slot machine that you can pull the lever each time and expect to win something big. Do yourself a favor and go play your slot machine with some other kid you've probably abandoned and leave me out of your life. You're good at that!"