Babygirl, Mia

"Look at you, all grown up and beautiful!" That Chilean accent or whatever accent it is, is something I can identify but not entirely. But that nose of his is also something familiar.

At first, I thought he was talking to someone else. Maybe he was talking to a little girl, who just so happens to be named Mia, that I didn't know was behind me. But as I turn around, I see no one and I'm left with a devastating realization. I feel my blood boil. It was my absent father.

Just one look at him and I already feel so much anger. The anger inside of me has made me look at him like he was a parasite. He is a parasite. I never thought in my twenty-seven years of living that I would see a complete stranger, who is supposed to be my parent, standing in front of me. I'm angry. I'm so angry that I can explode.

His arms are wide open, smiling like a clown. "Not gonna give your old man a hug?" There's no way he would ever think I'd want to hug him. Having the audacity to show up unannounced, expecting me to run to him happily and greet him as if he didn't abandon me 17 years ago.

I can feel my face heat up the more he stands there waiting for me to come and hug him.

He should get the hint by now. Eventually he does, and his arms drop to his side, and he sighs. "I um-I'd expect you to be that way."

I don't say anything to him, and I walk away and head to the elevator.

"M-Mia? Mia, wait!" I hear him call out, but I ignore him and keep walking.

In my head I'm telling myself not to turn around but at the same time I want to so I can see how pathetic he looks coming after me like an idiot. I hear him calling for me again. His footsteps are getting closer. By the time I get to the elevator he's right there almost beside me and I don't face him at all. I press the button and keep my face towards the elevator.

I see him tilt his head trying to get a better look at me and I turn my face a  away and focus on the elevator to the left.

"I know I'm the last person you'd ever want to see but hear me out."

I keep quiet. I can tell he senses my dismay and is thinking twice of what he has to say to me, but on the inside I'm curious of what excuse he has up his sleeves.

"I know it's been a long time since you've seen me. I know that seeing me here is not going to make you change your mind about me, but I have some things to tell you to make things easier for you to understand."

I guess age can really alter one's voice or maybe because of the fact that I haven't seen him in so long, in my opinion sounds like he's suffering from something. I don't know and I don't care. He's been absent my entire life, so his health doesn't really concern me.

The elevator arrives and people come out. Before I can step in, he steps in front of me, blocking me. This is the perfect time to cause some damage.

"You have the audacity to show up expecting me to welcome you with open arms, and just accept whatever excuses you have after abandoning me 17 years ago? No, I won't hear you out. You're twenty-seven years too late." I make an attempt to go past him, but he again blocks me.

"I know, Mia, but there is more to it. Listen, Mia, I promise to tell you everything. The entire truth."

"Here's one truth, you left me to be raised by my grandparents because you couldn't handle being a single parent after my mom left. I know because I was there. When I asked for confirmation from my grandparents, that's what my grandparents told me."

"Mia, please." He sighs, his eyes glossy and pitiful like a puppy. "I promise you, that once I tell you everything, it will all make sense. Just give me a chance to clear things out."