Chapter 23: Brother Gus

Esme:

I was roused by the sound of Elisabeth's hair ribbons crinkling and Imogen's "puff-puff" snore. I rubbed my eyes and thankfully remembered to not sit up all the way so I wouldn't hit my head on the slanted roof. My arm had a dull throb but it was manageable. It was still dark and I could see the beginning of the sunrise. I went into the minuscule wardrobe where the baggage was stored and then got into a simple dark purple long-sleeved dress and then put a dark brown corset over it. I saw Elisabeth at the dresser fixing her hair, "Morning." she said a bit tiredly, "Morning." I replied. I then put on a simple gold necklace with a feather and then my jade earrings. Once I was done with that I sprayed on some jasmine perfume and then slipped into my worn brown leather boots. I looked out of the small window and gasped, the sunrise was a spectacle to see- there were pinks, bluex, oranges, yellows and wispy clouds. It looked like an array of paints on a canvas. "You don't see sunrises like this in the castles." I whispered, awed by the sight of it, "You sure don't." Elisabeth replied. Then she went over the sagging couch in the corner and tapped her forehead lightly, "Morning Gen." she said softly, "Gen?" Imogen said confused and drowsily. "Just trying out a new name." Elisabeth mused. I laughed and grabbed my messenger bag then said, "I'm going to the bakery but I'll be back soon-be ready when I'm back!" I shoved some coins into the bag and then stepped out of the room and then ran downstairs. There were a lot of people downstairs, and it was oddly comforting-the smell of coffee and earl grey tea, the warmth of people in such a small space, and the comfort of being unseen. I stepped out of the door, it was a tad chilly but wonderfully so. I walked through the streets until I found the dainty bakery. I stepped inside and was greeted by a small chime of bells. I walked up to the counter and ordered a banana nut muffin for myself, cinnamon roll for Elisabeth, and then a blueberry strudel for Imogen. I quickly paid and gave a nice tip and then walked out happily enjoying the delicious smell wafting off of the bag. I stopped at a perfume shop and then peered inside, Hmmm.. I should get Elisabeth a perfume because the only one she has right now is Francis's rose perfume and probably Imogen one because she has never had one before-and then again we have loads of money to spend right now I thought. I walked into the shop and then was greeted again with wonderful smells. I decided to get Elisabeth a perfume called, "Sweet Pearls' ' that smelled like freshly baked cookies, salted caramel, and strawberries. It was also quite ironic because she always wore pearls. I decided on "Midnight Blooms' ' for Imogen, it was a blend of rich berries, violets and something a tad salty and floral but I couldn't place it. I was about to walk up and pay but then I decided to be extra and get one for myself because I was nearly running out of my Jasmine perfume, which was unacceptable. After a bit of searching I settled on "Starry Nights' ' which smelled like pomegranate nectar, blackberry and of course blended with jasmine. Once I was done with my daily shopping I went back to the boarding home with a smile on my face. I entered the main room at the bottom of the house that now smelled faintly of vanilla and lavender and then went upstairs into the room to see Elisabeth and Imogen lying on the floor doing weird handshakes. "Guess who's back!" I twirled into the room my skirt flying, "Food!" Imogen exclaimed. We sat down on the floor as proper young ladies would do of course, and then I opened the bag of breakfast. "Banana nut muffin for me." I said grabbing the muffin and then taking a big bite of gooey deliciousness. "Is the blueberry strudel for me!?" Imogen said eyeing it, "Yup and the cinnamon roll is for Sisi." I said continuing to eat the warm muffin. "Mmmm!" Elisabeth said taking a big bite of her cinnamon roll. "Once we are done with breakfast I have a surprise for you two!" I said tucking my hair behind my ears so I wouldn't accidentally eat it. "Ooh-ok!" Imogen cheered. Once our hunger was satisfied I pulled out the leather messenger bag. I quickly rifled through the messy contents of the bag, "Nope.." I mumbled as I pulled out some parchment, ink, jewlry ribbons, coins. "What is even going on with that bag?" Elisabeth said peering, "Aha!" I said gleefully as I pulled out teh box that had the perfumes in it, "Can I open it?" Imogen said tugging at the ribbon on it, "Sure?" I looked at her funny. "Yay!" she gently took off the ribbon and opened the box, "Ok- so I know that you have never had perfume before.."I said looking at Imogen, then I turned to Elisabeth, "And the last perfume you had was gifted by intresting people.." "So I got us new perfumes!" "OOH!" Imogen said grabbing her perfume, "Wait this is mine right the Midnight Blooms?" she said pointing to the label, "yeah...." I inspected it, "OK!" he sprayed some onto ther wrists and then took a good whiff of it, "Wait-this smells so good!" she sprayed some more on, "Don't use all of it now!" Elisabeth said carefully opening hers, "Ooh! Sweet Pearl!" Elisabeth said reading the label and the scent notes on the back, she didd a quick spritz and smiled, "This smells like im in the bakery again!" she grinned. I opened mine and was amazed about how nice my perfume smelled. I sprawyed some on my dress and then flopped on the couch, which as suprisingly comfy and smelled like Patchouli oil. "Hmmm..." Imogen tapped her finger on her knees, "What should we do?" I replied, "Let's go see what Auggie is doing?" Elisabeth said hopefully, Imogen and I exchanged a look and then burst out into giggles, "What.."Elisabeth looked at us crossly, "You loooovvveeee him.." Imogen said with a funny face, "I don't even know what your talking about-he's-he's just a friend." Syvia scowled, "just a friend huh?" I piped up, "You know what, let's go see Brother Gus and ask him what he thinks about us!" I said getting off of the couch, "Brother gus?" Elisabeth voiced looking at me confused, "Don't ask!" and then Imogen and I bounded out the door with Elisabeth behind us. "Do you even know where his room is?" Elisabeth asked at the top of the stairs. "You do?" I laughed and fanned out my hands. "I beg your pardon I do not!" Elisabeth yelled as she reached the bottom of the stairs. We walked through the bustling room, and there were constantly serving ladies offering coffee to people. "He could be outside maybe." Imogen turned the knob for the garden door. We saw the slim figure of Gus on the bench writing in his poem book.