Fourteen

I have an interview at ten this morning

I have an interview at ten this morning. After a week of measuring my options, I decided to go for Ellington's offer to work at his tech company, even though I'd been very clear with him that I want it to be fair and square, to which he fully agreed.

I've applied to a few more places, but so far only Hi-Five seems to have a more solid opportunity for me than the rest: the local bank needs people who are ready to relocate, and the tourism company that interviewed me on the phone back in Las Vegas said they'd get in touch.

So far, nothing has worked.

"How do I look?" I ask Camilla who almost drops her coffee mug off her mouth upon my appearance.

"Are you trying to steal someone's heart or something, Hermosa?" she teases, comically using some foreign accent that resembles Spanish.

I stare at myself from top to bottom, unsure. "I didn't overdo it, did I?"

I'm just wearing a pair of black high-waisted slacks with a tucked-in chiffon blouse, as white as snow, and black heels; I only want to look professional. Well, maybe a thick golden belt around my waist outlines my curves a little too showy, but it's not too much.

"You're perfect," Camilla says. "And your makeup is, as always, very simple and natural..." She sighs a bit dramatically then smiles. "God, you look radiant in red lipstick. Go break a leg, girl; I know you'll nail it."

I smile back, especially when Isla says, "You are so pretty, Ara," while munching on her scrambled eggs.

"Thanks, baby." I flounce away from the stairs, eyes inside my handbag to make sure I haven't forgotten my phone and wallet.

"Breakfast?" Camilla asks.

"No, I'll grab a coffee or something on the way." I don't think I can stomach anything right now.

I'm not nervous; I'm just uncertain.

"You can use my car then," Camilla offers, a piece of sprinkled donut graciously held in her hand. "I think Isla and I will go to the park later to walk Thor and Loki so we won't heed a car. Right, bestie?"

Isla nods, her two poodles parading around the floor, sniffing and licking, as though they're on a new planet with a food factory and abundant companionship. They look well-groomed.

"Cool. I'll see you later. " I grab the car keys from the console, flying a grateful smile her way. "And...hey." I stop by the door before making my full exit. "I've been meaning to ask. Are you on leave or something?"

Camilla chuckles. "Why? Do I look like an accidental character in The Real Housewives of Atlanta or something?"

"More like a side character from Jane Austen's novel who just sits in the drawing room, drinks tea, gossips, and maybe gets invited to the ball when she's extremely lucky." I don't laugh, but Camilla does loudly, which makes me laugh. "Where is Camilla Avlon I met her in the lake house, who had an hour to board the plane to Toronto? What did you do with her?" I ask for she's been spending days babysitting Isla and playing house with the puddles from dawn to dusk, barely touching her computer for a week now.