Twenty-two

"Shall we?" Mario asks me, his eyes staring at me via the rearview mirror

"Just a minute," I reply.

I hold myself still, watching Arabella trudging through the swirling doors of her office building. She looks chick, professional, elegant, and more beautiful than I recall. Lost in sight, I wait until she disappears, but still, her face lingers in my thoughts for no tell how long.

I throw my head back, facing Mario; he's been waiting for my word.

"We can go," I utter at last.

He grabs the gearshift and responds, "To the office?" without looking at me.

"No. Just drive," I answer.

As far as my businesses are concerned, I've put everything on hold for several reasons. But now I must protect the people I've put in danger. I'm not confident with my ways, and Arabella doesn't seem to understand how grave this predicament is.

It's her impertinence that fears me the most.

The unreasonable adherence to her opinion is both her strength and weakness.

She has no idea of what lies beneath the surface. She does not know the magnitude of chaos her life has been swirling around since we met. If only she knew some things and the untold truth I've kept, our lives would be different, and perhaps we would've come to our senses that we cannot be together.

"No trace of Vile yet, but every trail suggests her arrival in New York a few days ago," Mario says in baritone when I pull the photo he's handed me this morning.

I look deeply into it. The tall brunette woman with glossy bob-styled hair is waltzing out of the airport like a ritzy businesswoman in a panty suit.

Vile Schmit. A legendary Pentagon killer with a magnificent profile. Her fate and mine intertwine vicariously. She's the key to most answers I'm seeking regarding my past.

At the same time, Vile is the most dangerous person I know. I must get to her first before she gets to me. If that woman slips into my life, a big tragedy will follow.

"You think she's in touch with Falcon?" I ask Mario because I don't think the people who visited Camilla's were working under Vile's order.

She's a lone wolf. She works splendidly alone.

"I highly doubt," Mario suggests, glancing back at me briefly. "Falcon hasn't stepped out of Europe since the altercation at Upstate New York. He's been busy building the shield against you." His eyes remain focused on the front windshield, and my eyebrows knit together upon his remark.

I've ruined most of Falcon's business deals after he shot Arabella; I will never forgive him for that. Even if the bullet wasn't aimed at her deliberately, it was still a huge mistake on his part. And now he and I have waged a war that I've tried too hard to prevent over the years.