The Meeting

I opened my door to see a box of chocolates with a single rose on top. The soft but noticeable breeze played with the peddles, which made me smile. I grab the gift and close the door behind me.
I place the rose on the kitchen counter and open the box of chocolates. A white card lies over the romantic treats.

For my sweet lady.

The letter made me unnoticeably laugh.
That's so Jamie, I think to myself.

My afternoon alarm sets off, reminding me to head to the office. Levi had announced a pop-up meeting just hours ago. He rarely did so, but it hadn't worried me.

When I showed up, the office was empty. 2:45 p.m., the clock read.
"What are you doing here?" A man in the gray jumpsuit stands curious behind me.
"Boss told me the office would be empty." Just feet away from him, there's a cart full of cleaning supplies, and now that I look closely, there's a mop in hand.
"I'm here for a meeting." I respond with little confidence. "There's no meeting." He looks me up and down. "But there are spots on my floor."
I look down at the floor in question and allow my eyes to follow my wandering tracks.
"Im so sorry, I'll clean it up before I go." I extend my arm for the mop.
"Nah, it's fine. I like cleaning." He smiles sarcastically. I nod awkwardly and in shame before walking out with no further words.
So embarrassing, I whisper to myself, stepping out into the hot afternoon sun.
"Did you piss off the janitor too." A man laughed.
It was Eric, he's one of the older people in the office.
He was drinking a beer leaning against the building.
"You're drinking?" I squint towards him.
"Yeah." He shrugs. "I'm old enough, plus it's my off day. If the asshole has a problem with it when he sees it, we can settle it then. No one told the motherfucker to call a meeting on my free time." I laugh and shake my head. I walk over to stand next to him. "Are we the only ones here?" I look up at him. "No, everyone else is in their cars." My eyes widen. "And you guys just let me walk in?" He laughs again, taping his elbow on my shoulder.
Eric shakes his now empty beer can and sighs.
"And it's only downhill from here."
I roll my eyes before looking around.
"I don't see Levi's car."
Eric scuffs, "He's the only dick that's not here."
I consider heading back to my car while Eric leaves to trash his empty can.

Just as I was about to open my bag to get my keys, a silver gray Porsche 911 pulled into the parking lot. It was Levi.

Everyone exits their cars and stood standing with the doors open.
All eyes were on Levi.

Levi steps out of his car, looking serious at first but then smiling.

"Beautiful day, isn't it?" He says with open arms, gazing at everyone.
Some agreed, and others grew more irritated, including Eric.

Eric fixes his posture and begins to make  his way toward Levi. Avery, who I haven't seen until now, steps out in front of him, blocking his way.
He looks down at her, and she responds by shaking her head, no, rapidly.

Looking back at Levi, he doesn't look like himself. His hair is messy, and his shirt is wrinkled and stained. He's even missing his right shoe.

The small crowed began to whisper amongst one another.
"Are you drunk, Levi?" I ask over the noise.
"Well, of course he is!" Eric shouts. "That's supposed to be me!"

"I should've  known something was weird. This email doesn't even make any sense." Someone says.
"Alright, alright, calm down, everyone. I'll call Eleanor, and she'll figure this out. You guys go home, Eric, Marinette, and I will stay here with Levi until she arrives."
Me and Eric look at Avery in disbelief as everyone re-entered their cars, driving off one by one.

"What? Don't look at me like that. You guys are the only ones I really know... And Jamie isn't here."
She pulls out her phone and signals us to go to Levi.

Eric and I walk up to Levi. He's been singing, Alive, by sia to himself the entire time.
He reeked strictly of alcohol.
"Lucky bastard." Eric mumbles to himself with his arms crossed.

Levi walks around Eric to make contact with me. He puts a hand on each side of my face.
"You're so beautiful." He hugs me, pushing my face into his chest.
"I love you."

"Ugh." Eric interrupts, pulling him off of me.
"That's not Eleanor, you idiot."

"Oh, I know. It's the woman I want." Levi almost falls backward as he spoke.
I feel more embarrassed than anything.
"I remember when I was this drunk... it led to my first divorce." Eric laughed. As much as I wanted to laugh with him, I couldn't.

Avery joins us, looking more concerned than when we separated.
"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Eleanor, she doesn't want to see him." She looks down at her phone. 
"What?" Eric stares confused.
"She doesn't want to see him... She found out that Levi has been cheating."