three

Sage compromised with Sam. She didn't want to go to his house and meet his new fiancé, so she told him to be at the beach Saturday morning and if he was late she was going to leave. The boy laughed lightly at her reasonings but he understood them and so he agreed.

The walked the beach, Sam asking questions that she either avoided or kept the answers as vague as possible. This whole thing felt wrong, Sam wasn't someone she was supposed to drift apart from only to act as complete strangers. Sam was always supposed to be a constant. When she was seven they used to talk about her moving in with him once he finally got situated, something that seemed so far away at the time. He was supposed to threaten everyone she dated then become friends with them only to hate them the second they broke up, not become their friend and stay that way after the breakup.

After a while of walking aimlessly, Sage spotted Jacob talking to a couple pale faces. Without thinking she grabbed her brothers arm dragging him towards the boy. "J!"

His head spun her way, a wide smile on his face which diminished slightly when he saw Sam. "G!"

She slapped him arm lightly, having never been a fan of his nickname for her nickname, before looking at the group. Her face immediately hardened as she glanced at their wary faces. Sam was always the people person between the two of them, so he was the first to start speaking. Sage zoned out of their conversation, rocking back and forth on the ball of her feet. Jacob leaned toward her and she jumped when his voice softly met her ears. "are you okay?"

She just nodded, and gave him a look that said shed explain later. She heard a group of people walking their way and when she saw who was apart of it she didn't think her face could drop anymore. Food started to get passed around, which Sage was quick to deny, as she just watched the flames dance against the wood, leaving them scorched from soft kisses. "Sage?"

At the sound of her name, her head spun towards Bella. Her face never once letting up on its steel approach. "Yes?"

a blonde boy was quick to cut in, staring between Bella and Sage. "you two know each other?"

"I live with her. What Bella?"

"Um, nothing i just didn't expect to see you here." Sage's eyebrows looked as if they were sewn together as she stared at the girl. Jacob sat up a little straighter once he realized Charlie's daughter was here.

"Well I was raised here, my friends live here, plus I go to school here. Clearly I'm gonna hang out here." Sam looked at her when he noticed no mention of a brother, as if she'd tried to forget he exists. Sage zoned out of the conversation, debating if she should go home as Embry pushed Jacob away from her. Out the corner of her eye, she could see Bella watching her and Embry, occasionally glancing up at Sam who still stood behind her.

Sage listened as everyone was introduced, her head resting on Embry's shoulder as he occasionally forced her to take a bite of his food. the two whispered, making plans to build a pillow fort in the sleep over plans they just made. "Bella, Tell Charlie I'm sleeping at Embry's tonight."

"He wont flip about you sleeping at your boyfriends?" Sage and Embry shared a disgusted look at the older girls words.

"Never claim him to be my boyfriend again."

"Yea, she like burly angry men." Sage punched Embry in the arm. "Okay you know what, starve."

As the clouds started moving, Embry made his leaving, stating Tiffany would need to prepare to act as if she was feeding the president. Sage laughed lightly and waved as he left, Sam took Embrys spot next to her, as Jacob walked towards Bella. "So Sage, was it? is this the boy that guy was referring to?"

Sage thinks the girls name was Lauren, she wasn't sure. "What do you mean"

"Him." she pointed towards Sam. "Is he your boyfriend."

Sage and Sam both fought the urge to throw up, "No, never in a million years."

"I'm her brother." Her lips formed an oh as she smirked at Sam before looking towards Bella and Jacob, listening in on their conversation. She spoke to Bella before turning towards some guy Sage thought was named Todd?

"Bella, I was just saying to Tyler—" so close "—that i was too bad none of the Cullens could come out today. Didn't anyone think to invite them?" Sage noticed how false her concern was and smirked lightly. She looked to Bella and jumped when Sam's voice cut in.

"You mean Dr. Carlisle Cullen's family?"

"Yes, do you know them?" Her voice was condescending, causing Sage to lightly bite her tongue. Only she could be a jerk to Sam, she had reasoning.

"dont be a bitch because your drama isn't unfolding." Her words went ignored considering Sam answered right after her.

"The Cullen's dont come here." His tone forced the subject closed, and Tyler tried to get Lauren's attention back. Sage watched as Sam stared at the forest, wondering if he was trying to find a way to get away from her.

"Do you need to get back to—" Sage paused not quite remembering his fiancé's name. She had always believed nothing could break him and Leah up, so hearing he was already engaged to someone else made her wary.

"Emily." Sam smiled lightly, his eyes and the rest of his face softening. his expression caused her to smile lightly. "I don't necessarily have to get back to her, but the boys might be there eating us out of a house."

Sage froze lightly. In her mind they lived together but hearing it confirmed kind of hurt. Sam finally made it out of Joshua's house, but never even thought to tell her about it, never thought to give her an escape from Charlie's. She knew it was irrational, of course they didn't want some 15 year old living with them.

"She wants to meet you, ya know." She looked up at him slightly confused. "I may have told her a little too much about you and she's taken to threatening me to bring you over."

Sage smiled lightly, her heart warming at the fact that he still spoke about her, yet guilt also filled her bones at the fact that she'd tried so hard to erase his existence. "Well to save you from being murdered in your sleep—"

She paused the fear of seeing how good he was without her in his life holding her back. She took a deep breath. "Lets go. though you may have to drive my car seeing as i dont know where you live."

Sam's entire face light up, and something whispered in Sage's ear, telling her that they'd be okay.

꧁♈︎꧂

Sage didn't know what she was expecting, but it definitely wasn't a cozy cottage with big windows. Sam looked at her concerned as she tossed open her glove box. "Whats wrong?"

Her eyes never looked away from all the paperwork in front of her. "nothing ill meet you inside."

Her hands gripped the yellow bottle as Sam nodded and got out the car, leaving the key in the ignition for her to grab.  She popped open the yellow lid taking a deep breath as she tossed a small circle into her mouth. "shit."

She only had two pills left.  Charlie was for sure going to get concerned. She let out a sigh as she tossed the bottle back in the glove box, grabbing her keys and then slowly making her way to the door. It opened slowly, creaking as it did. The scent of chocolate chip cookies flooded her airway as she took in what was in front of her. Suddenly a woman with long, thick scars across her face was standing in front of Sage, offering the girl a wide smile. "Wow! you are absolutely gorgeous. Im Emily, Ive heard so much about you."