Chapter 12

follow my backup - comicthinker

Playlist - Without Me by Eminem

a month later

Axel

"Why are you scowling?" My mom's pillowy fingertips traced my face. "Honey, you know, this is what you and your father both agreed on, isn't it?"

Thanks for the fucking reminder, mom.

Mom held my chin and made me stare into her eyes that mirrored my own. "I know you won't believe me, but your father cares about you a lot. His every waking thought has to do with you. All he wants to see is for you to carry his legacy, Axel."

She dropped her hold and went to stir sugar in her English tea. "This was supposed to happen eventually, Axel. It'll be easier if you cement it now, then worry about it later."

I remained silent and went back to my thoughts. The papers that dad made sign held a clause that said if I don't choose a bride from my father's approved list of candidates, I would not only lose my inheritance, but even the trust fund that my granddad had left for me.

That was my dad's way to put a leash on me.

To end this charade, I kept with my part of the deal and even showed up to meet with a girl that was flaunted to my face last week at a party. Now, we were having an official dinner with Richard Chamberlain and his family. His daughter Jade was one of the potential contenders short listed by my mother.

Fine, I'll play the role of the perfect suitor, but it'll come with consequences.

"Here, they are." My mom played the role of a charming host like a pro. She stood, her channel pantsuit making her appear like a royalty.

I stood, placing my hands in my pockets. I didn't bother with a smile, just shook hands with Richard and nodded at his wife. Jade had worn a slik red dress appearing rather uncomfortable in it. She must enjoy being forced to wear it. From what I'd heard, she was my age and studied in an all girls catholic school, sheltered and innocent.

Fuck, she wasn't even able to meet my eyes. They intentionally avoided mine. Like this was the last place she wanted to be. Well, me too. We sat there for awhile, until Richard suggested the kids should spend some time alone. Oh, isn't that convenient for you? What sick bastard to let his daughter be alone with someone with a bad reputation.

I saw Jade shift nervously in her seat. I extended my hand, like a perfect gentleman for her to take. She placed her cold palm on mine, and we made our way to the more intimate area of the restaurant. The staff had set up a romantic candle light table on the terrace in the private dining.

I sunk back on the chair, and assess the situation. It was cold and she didn't have a jacket on and it was an asshole move from me to not offer her my jacket. It was better if she knew that I wasn't the charming prince she had expected.

"Hi." She surprised me with her soft, meekly voice. "I am jade." For the first time, she met my face and braved meeting my eyes even if it was for mere moment.

I focused on her. She was a delicate looking girl who had dressed to look like a woman. Her blonde hair was styled in a perfect updo that flaunted her long pale neck, small face with red lipstick. Her features were soft. She appeared like the pretty girl next door.

I was curious about her. Finally, I replied to her,"Hey."

"I don't want to marry you," she said abruptly. Her voice sounded strong. For some reason, it amused me quite a lot. "Why are you smiling?"