𝖿𝗈𝗎𝗋

𝖤𝖯𝖨𝖲𝖮𝖣𝖤 𝖥𝖮𝖴𝖱, 𝗌𝗉𝗒 𝗀𝖺𝗆𝖾𝗌

LOLO SCRATCHED THE back of her neck awkwardly as she sat on the dining table across from cheryl, the social worker, waiting for john b to return home

'it's kind of a bad time for a check-in..' she tried to fake a smile, really wanting the woman to leave.

'it's not a check-in. we're here to take you and your brother.' cheryl smiled back just as john b entered the room. 'today?' he said with a bored tone, not even surprised she was here.

'it's just for a few weeks until your hearing.'

lolo scoffed, 'no, no. we are not going into foster care. we're safe and happy here.'

'yeah, we're not gonna go be apart of your little system.' john b said, waving his hands around.

the sibling's faces dropped when they heard a radio beep, a police officer now standing beside them with a stern face. 'this is deputy thomas. he works with juveniles for the sheriff's department.'

lolo watched unimpressed as john b tried to run away, immediately being stopped by the officer.

the routledge girl sighed as she packed her bag, sliding in her gold necklace that her dad gave her at a young age.

'you see this, cheryl?' john b pleaded from across the room, holding a picture of his father up to her face. 'do you know who this is? yeah, it's our dad. you know what he wanted? he wanted us to stay here, at home. and you're taking us away from home. do you understand that?'

'its the law john b.' cheryl said.

john b sighed, looking over to his sister for help, but she just shook her head no.

lolo had other plans.

꧁꧂

the ride in the police car was silent. all you could hear was the faint radio chatter and the occasional sighs coming from the two teenagers.

lolo looked over to her brother who was playing with a picture of their dad in his fingers. she glanced over to the slightly open window, and then back to him.

'john b,' she whispered, him looking over to her with a sad face, 'yeah?'

he quickly got the hint when she pointed to the picture, and then to the window. john b nodded briefly before waiting a few seconds and 'accidentally' dropping the picture out of the window. 'no, stop! stop! stop, please stop!' he pleaded, 'my picture! it's the last picture of our dad, please!'

lolo let out a loud dramatic gasp, 'you dropped it?'

'not gonna happen, kid.' the police officer said grumpily.

the brunette girl leaned forward and forced herself to tear up, 'and how would you like it if your father died at sea and you lost your only memory of him?' john b nodded, 'come on, cheryl just stop the car.'