8. Titans

Enyo rode behind Erwin, side-by-side with Mike and Rashad. They galloped out of Trost, into Wall Maria territory. This expedition was an exploration to see if they could make it to the Forest of Giant Trees and survive. If they came back with over 85% of their soldiers alive, then Erwin would continue developing his plan. Enyo held her reins tight and kept her eyes forward.

Mike sniffed. And sniffed. And sniffed. And Enyo wanted to ask if he was a dog, but decided against it. They kept quiet, listening for whistles from nearby. If someone whistled, that meant there was a titan approaching. Two whistles meant they killed the titan. Three meant retreat. Past that, their communication was nonexistent.

"Titans. From the left," Mike grunted.

Enyo turned her head and squinted. Sure enough, two titans lumbered toward them, their feet grotesque as they ran toward Erwin's squad.

"Keep your horses moving! We can make it to the trees and can take them down from there!" Erwin yelled. "Enyo!"

She grabbed the whistle around her neck and blew with all her might. It rang loud and true and she told herself next time she'd plug her ears. They galloped onward, and Enyo took a deep steadying breath. "We won't make it in time, Erwin!"

"Onward!"

Enyo glanced at the two titans that were closing in on them. She jumped when a large, warm hand landed on hers. She looked at Rashad who stared at her as they rode. "Trust in Erwin's instincts."

"You're one to talk!"

Enyo's skin crawled as the ground began to shake with each step. She gulped back a lump forming in her stomach. Now wasn't the time to submit to fear. But still, the crazy eyes and flailing arms that shook the ground made her want to cry.

Enyo screeched.

A titan ran out of the forest toward them. She blew in the whistle again after Erwin's command. It was tall and had long hair. A fifteen meter, no doubt.

"Mike!" Erwin ordered.

The man with dog-like instincts dropped his reins mechanically. Enyo looked at him wide-eyed. "What are you going to do?"

His hands landed on his handles and he drew his blades. "Duck," he simply said and Enyo lunged forward, hugging her arms around her horse. Mike leapt off his horse and over Enyo, a hook from his ODM gear flying past her head.

"Mike's the strongest soldier in the Scouts," Rashad yelled to Enyo as she looked up to see a titan fall. "Trust Erwin and ride!"

Keiji grabbed Mike's horse's reins and they continued toward the forest. Enyo glanced over and another titan fell. She squeezed her eyes shut and pushed her horse forward, letting her fear seep away.

"Up the tree," Erwin commanded.

They all dismounted from their horses and soared to the top of a tree with their ODM gear. Mike joined them after a few more moments, one titan chasing after him. Erwin looked out over the valley and he turned on Enyo. "Your plan's a success. If we make it back."

Enyo's golden eyes grew as she looked up at Erwin, her tan skin burning in the sunshine behind her. Had they...really done it?

Mike sniffed and held his ODM gear tight. "More are coming."

"How do you do that?" Enyo wondered aloud, examining Mike. He looked away from her and stood next to Erwin, his eyes sharp and ready.

"Brace yourselves," Erwin ordered. "We're going to have to fight our way back out. Enyo, stay here."

Enyo wanted to say something, but she couldn't. Erwin, Rashad, Keiji, and Mike vanished. She heard their ODM gear, and collapsed on her quaking knees. Did Erwin notice how much she shook? She took a deep breath and slammed her hand to her heart and closed her eyes.

Freedom.

"They're coming too fast!" Rashad yelled to Erwin. "We can't handle all of them!"

"Don't stop!" Erwin commanded.

Enyo jumped to her feet and watched Mike, his movements boxy and large. She could never fight like him, she realized. He was much bigger than her. So, she'd have to rely on her training. "I can do it," Enyo yelled.

Erwin landed on the tree next to Enyo and stared at her before he nodded. "Right. Enyo, distract the two on the right. Rashad! Mike! Assist when you're able!"

And then Erwin was gone again, soaring through the air. Enyo took another deep breath and steadied herself before she launched in the air. She fell, the wind nipping through her body. She saw the first of the two titans and her fingers stiffened. She knew what to do. So why was she hesitating?

"GRAH!" A yell ripped out of Enyo's throat while her fingers pulled the trigger on her ODM gear. The titan reached out to grab her and Enyo squeezed the trigger, zipping through its grasp and grappling onto the tree behind the titan. Her body lurched after the hook and she clutched her blades.

A clean cut.

She let go of the trigger and slammed aggressively into the tree, pouncing off and spinning in the air. She circled around the second titan, a burly titan that looked like he smelled awful, and her hook attached to its nape. She gripped her blades and

slammed right into Mike.

"Sorry!"

Mike moved quickly to correct his path and slashed through the titan. Enyo swung herself back up into the safety of the trees and waited for her squad. Mike landed loudly next to her and he nodded at her.

"I did it!" She cheered. "I killed one and totally would've had the other," they had just returned to Trost. Enyo slid in next to Luke and Hange, telling them about her titan kill. "I did it!"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Leave a vote and comment!