21. The Military Ball

"Holy shit." Luke flushed and Dieter broke out into hysterics. "Enyo you look amazing."

Enyo sheepishly grinned and set her hand gently on his arm. Her long golden hair sat in an intricate braided bun on her head with tiny shimmery beads throughout her hair. Loose curls framed her face and she had a tiny bit of liner around her eyes. She wore a light, lilac dress with a matching belt around her waist.

Among all of the military women, Enyo was the most comfortable. She stood with her group of friends, Hange draped in an ugly orange abomination while Dieter and Luke wore white dress shirts and gray slacks. Mike simply wore his Scouting uniform and after an interrogation from Enyo, he'd revealed he simply didn't care enough about the event to think about any other outfit.

"Come on, Hange, let's dance," Moblit said and tugged on Hange's hand.

Enyo grinned while she watched Moblit try to tame their exuberant friend. She doubted Hange would ever learn how to properly dance, but with her feet flopping around, Hange looked like she was having more fun than anyone else.

"Little Eagle?"

Enyo stared at Luke's hand. He'd been trying to get back on her good graces for the last two days. His eye still looked horrible—Enyo hadn't noticed earlier that it had actually split a bit and left a nasty scar. She frowned when she thought about her own fight with Levi. He was so stupidly strong.

Enyo took Luke's hand and walked onto the dance floor. She set her other hand softly on his lower arm because his shoulder was so dang far up, and he immediately stepped on her foot. "Luke!"

"Sorry," he shamelessly laughed. "Not a rich girl. Don't know what I'm doing."

Enyo lightly slapped his arm. "Oh shut up. Follow me."

So, Enyo tugged Luke around in a circle. She told him to keep his gaze up, and that if he dare step on her foot again she'd walk away. He nodded his head slowly each time they stepped and Enyo laughed at the cross-eyed look that started to form on his face. He grinned triumphantly.

"I'm sorry, Enyo," he finally said. "About the other day."

"Good," she simply said and looked past him. Enyo's face drained when she saw him. Some part of her knew he would be here, but the other part was hoping that the Military Police life expectancy was the same as the Scouts and that he'd have kicked the bucket.

When the song finished, Enyo gulped and let go of Luke directly and gave him a curt nod before she turned and walked out of the room. Luke called after her, but Enyo needed to get away. Like she was a little, pathetic, fragile girl again.

"Enyo Aetos?"

Enyo's blood ran cold. Her breath hitched as she turned around with a pressed polite smile. "Co-commander Dawk."

He scoffed and took a step closer. "Your parents have been so worried. And I—"

"I'm sorry, Commander Dawk. I actually have an appointment."

"No." He held his hand out. "You've been missing for years and you show up here, my dear? Come, dance with me. Catch me up on your life."

Enyo gulped. Why did her legs turn to a weak jelly and her hands fall pathetic beside her? She wasn't a lame child anymore! She could fight him! She'd stared titans in the eye and smirked when they died. So why? Why did her skin crawl when she thought of his hands and the way they always sought her out?

"Don't keep me waiting." He cocked his head.

She didn't know what possessed her. She remembered the way his hands ghosted her skin and tremors quietly rocked her body.

"Right," Enyo weakly said and set a shaky hand in his. Her mind yelled at her to turn and leave, to fight, to do something. Anything. Except go with Commander Dawk. "Sorry."

His hand was slimy like a leech and Enyo felt her stomach lurch. He was saying something as he dragged her back toward the room filled with soldiers. It was a sweaty hand, too, Enyo realized. Slimy and sweaty and too grabby. It grabbed and took and grabbed and took and grabbed and—

"There you are, brat," a deep voice interrupted Nile's ramblings. "You promised me a dance, or did your small brain forget?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Levi supremacy.

Leave a vote or comment!